Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

300ex i got a speed problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 09:09 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 300ex i got a speed problem

trxs2fast4u........you kind of have it confused. Torque is the force in inch pounds needed to move a load, and horsepower is the total of this force you need while applying this force over a distance, and measured in time.

Like the man said a larger tire takes more force to move the machine (not really so much because the tire is heavier), because the machine has to travel a longer distance during one revolution of the axle. The circumference of a larger tire is bigger, and so one revolutiopn of a larger tire must move the vehicle a greater distance. Therefor it takes longer(assuming the same horsepower motor each time), ie a certain force applied over a longer time.....or more horspower....at least to go the same distance.

You are right however that a larger tire seems to have better traction......that's only because it applies the same torque over a larger distance, so there is less specific force applied at the point of contact between the wheel and the ground. Just like you are better in slippery winter conditions to start a car moving in second gear instead of first.....harder to spin the tires. For the same reason many racers will start the hole shot in second or even third gear, so they do not "spin out" or wheelie with these more powerfull race motors.