Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Just looked at used 400EX that I want to buy, but I need some questions answered first before I go back with cash tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2000, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a 2000 400ex. I am inexperienced in what to look for on a bike.

He says it has under 15 hours, but it looks sctatched heavily. It seems to run good. Man these things are fast compared to the 250x I had 5 years ago. He said he never jumped it and all the scratches were from trail riding. He says he has no title for the bike even though he paid cash for it from the dealer. He says you only get a title when you finance it. This doesn't make sense to me. His price is real low too, $4200. He says it's priced to move because he has a Raptor now. The Raptor wasn't there though. It had a sticker on the front of the frame that said it was a 2000 bike. He said he paid $800 for a two year warranty too. What do these warranties cover? Are they transferable? What are your general thoughts on this bike? I want to go back later today with cash in hand, but I want to examine the bike further. I just don't know what to look for. I want to make sure there isn't something major wrong with the bike. The mods are very scratched nerf bars, new handle bars, and a K&N without a cover.
Here are a few questions:
1. Do these bikes come with a title.
2. What should I check to make sure the bike is solid?
3. What are your general thoughts on this deal being too good to be true?

Thanks,

Jeff Fox

Old 10-29-2000, 03:07 PM
Range Rover

he should have a title no matter if it is financed or not. An extended warrenty is WORTHLESS even the factory warrenty is worthless on a quad, they never fix anything. My oil drain plug was stripped when it left the showroom floor, but since i didnt find out till 3 days after i bought it, they would not fix it

Old 10-29-2000, 03:28 PM
Trailblazer

1:if he had a loan on the bike they "the ppl that loaned the $will have keep the title"until paid off then they send it after paid in full
2:take the seat off then look at the air cleaner it will tell you alot if it has been taken care of/look at the chain an spockets/look at the frame for cracks look close!! for paint cracks too/check the oil after it has been run then set for a few min. /ask him about the valves has he adjusted them?/look at the breaks for wear an funtion/sratches are nothing mine has plunty
3:as far as the warranty being transfered I have no clue
an finaly you will love it if you get it I have a 250x an a 400ex now they are a great bike for trail an sand good luck but look that thing over

Old 10-29-2000, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider

NO title...? stay away sounds STOLEN... only buy if he can produce title..you could be charged as an accessory to the theft if it is.A few months ago I paid cash for the DS650 I have a title.

Old 10-29-2000, 03:46 PM
Trailblazer

Some states don't issue titles for off road vehicles but he should have something to back up that he bought it from a dealer. I have a 400ex that is only 3 weeks old and the plastic is all scratched up too. It doesn't take long when you are riding in the woods.

Old 10-29-2000, 04:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

woah, this sounds REAL sketchy! i would pass.
the Honda plastic does get scuffed easily, but 15 hours...come on, that isn't even broke in yet. In my state we don't actully get a title, we get a "statement of origin" which acts as a title. He should have something, and if he doesn't he would have no problem getting one. Good luck, but I'd pass.

Old 10-29-2000, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

Honda only issues Certificates of Origin on ATV’s and OHV’s. They are not titles. They are mainly used for transferring from dealer to dealer. This certificate is passed along to the final consumer regardless. They are not necessary to actually sell the quad. If you look on the back of the certificate it only list DEALERS not owners.

Regardless get a “bill of sale” saying he owns it free and clear. (No liens) The bill should have important info such as date, VIN, dollar amount, sellers and buyer’s names and addresses.

Old 10-29-2000, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

It should have a title. Make him/her supply a Title. You can apply for a lost or stolen title. Get the numbers off the bike and run it through the police database to see if it is stolen. If the guy balks at this gesture, walk away it's probably stolen then tell the cops anyway and let them deal with the theiving hoosier.

Old 10-29-2000, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

get the VIN number(right were the bumber mounts on) and do a title serch if he can't come up with a title

Old 10-29-2000, 07:58 PM
Range Rover

iam a hoosier and we aint all thieves .....but i do have some ocean front property to sell !!!!

Quick Reply: Just looked at used 400EX that I want to buy, but I need some questions answered first before I go back with cash tonight.