Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Got the heebie jeebies

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ready to buy, got the heebie jeebies

Hey folks, new to the board but been looking here for a while. I'm just getting ready to by a 400ex for me and (2) 250ex's for my boys 13 and 11. I guess I've got the heebie jeebies a bit partly because of the expense, partly because I know its a big committment and partly because if I bring one of the boys home hurt, my wife will kill me.

I rode dirtbikes as a kid and broke a couple bones and got a few stitches but I was that kind of kid. Now that it's my boys (and my marital happiness) it's a different story. I live in So Cal so there is plenty of place to ride an hour or so away so that's not a problem, I guess I just need a push over the edge.

I'd like to hear from someone who took the plunge maybe recently or a few years ago and what your opinion is of the whole experience with quads.

Would you do it again? What would you do differently? What type pf terrain is your favorite? Any major injuries among your kids?

Thanks for any replies.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Got the heebie jeebies

Well, I didn't take a plunge into quads recently, I've been riding them as long as I can remeber. I started off with a Honda '86 200SX (ok, so I'm still young) and progressed through the years with polaris 4x4's and now I have a '00 400EX. I've seen and been a part of my share of wrecks. I've been strangled, rolled over, and hit trees along the way to name a few. I've even comboed on some of those (extra points in game world!) but still not a single broken bone, yet...

The best way to stay safe and your kids not to get hurt is don't attempt any tricky riding untill your confidence and experience has increased. Don't let your kids ride alone (most of my wrecks were by myself since I strayed away from the groups and got cocky) and just keep an eye on them. BUY BUY BUY a helmet, I don't wear it alot but when I've had, its likely it saved my life more than once. You can always get your kids the body armor (?) plates that they sell for motocrossers if your worried about their internals.

I'd definitely do it again anytime. Its great recreation and some of the scenery I get to see (I do basically 99% trail riding) is just amazing. Take your wifey and let her drive, she'll want one too and then you can go out as a family and do camping. Good luck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-18-2006, 10:58 PM
Range Rover

well, i have exprieince (me being 14, but started riding while i was 13) and got my first atv in the mid summer....i learn quickly on doing many things and this is something i picked up fairly easily and quickly.....for a starter quad, i think a 250 is plenty fast.....if your kids like it, they'd defiantely want to go bigger....

i've rolled plenty of times....never got hurt doing that......i tried tricks and did all that whatnot and i did mess up the quad a little bit hear and there but i was fine.....those times were always with other people....if i ever ride by myself, i dont go crazy at all incase i do get hurt....
recently , i did crash pretty bad but its was on stupidity.....

just go over everything with your kids....i knew how to ride my quad but i didnt know anything technical...everybody warned me about the airbox and not to get water in it.....i went deep and the exhaust went under....it scared me, i shut it off....then i turned it on!!!!! as a result of that, i had to get my engine rebuilt....this is a prime example why you need to go over EVERYTHING with your kids.....nobody thought id be doing that but ofcourse i did and i didnt know so how was i wrong....

now, i know a LOT.....we made our quad submersible now basically from me learning through the computer and reading and my dads prior knowledge......

i wouldnt call you crazy or anything like that.....just make sure they have all protective gear and consider getting a semi-automatic.....no clutch but you still have to shift....it will teach them the concept of shifting but not worrying about the clutch yet....i understand the concept of engine (i am extremely into cars) so i already understood the concept of shifting......

i think i went over everything....just make sure they know what they're doing, and make sure they dont try and do tricks....i think they'll be alright if you just teach them slowly and dont let them go too fast until they understand everything...if you have any questions, just ask since i'm in their position and i understand a lot more now than before....

Old 12-19-2006, 01:31 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well you have to except the inevidable, youre kids wil crash and they will get hurt. i do not want to scare you but if you are contemplating the wife and the possibility of sleeping on the couch, than i would recommend talking good and hard with the wife first. i do not know anybody that has been a rider that has not wrecked and got hurt. it is a part of getting better and learning. we all stumble and learn from it. and the old saying kids are kids. you said it yourself, you broke a few bones, so................chances are the kids will experiance some kind of little oopsies.

just trying to say that you know as well as any other rider that if you do it ling enough, crashing is going to be there

on the other hand i say that family time riding quads is the best for bonding and having a good time. i ride with all family including inlaws. i would say go for it. nothing better than riding with the family!!!!

good luck

Old 12-19-2006, 08:27 AM
Pro Rider

Your boys will probably be a lot less likely to take a major injury on a dirtbike. You seem concerned about that so you may want to consider bikes for them.

On bikes they will crash more but they are less likely to get hurt badly.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:39 AM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forums redhornet and brianr134. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-19-2006, 09:54 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

You will find that this is one of the best things you ever did for your family, and money well spent! We do an extended family camping/riding trip each month (aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, friends), and it's always great times. Quads, buggies, dirt bikes, Jeeps, toy haulers in a big circle with a campfire in the middle, little kids buzzing around on their quads like a bunch of bees..........

First off, the 250EX is a superb choice for beginners and early teen kids. The fact that it is so easy to ride will let them concentrate on their riding skills, rather than the machine. I have taught dozens of people to ride, teens, kids, and adults, and not one has ever had a serious injury. Get your wife started riding too, that will fix that problem!

Do be sure to wear all the safety gear you can find! The minumum is helmet, goggles, gloves, good motocross boots, and a chest protector. Better yet, add knee and elbow pads and a neck collar if you want.

Just a note, the stock tires on the 250 are lame just like the stock tires on most every machine. I replaced ours with the new ITP TracStar radials, and boy does it improve the ride! And a set of nerf bars is a must have safety item.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:03 AM
Red Rider

And, there are so many great places to ride (but to bad you live in Riverside County!). High desert, low desert, dunes, local mountains, Sierras..........

Old 12-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Do your kids have riding experience? My son started on a 50 2 wheeler at 5. Moved to a xr100 at 8. He's taller than the average kid. We just went on a long ride Sunday and he took our trx90. He was riding it to it's limit. I was scared to death. I was considering getting him a recon or something but now I know he is not mature enough for something that big. He could probably ride it great but I don't want to put him in danger. Kids don't like it when we keep them from doing fun things but I think if I wait till he is older he will ride better, smarter, safer and will have lots of time to ride a larger machine. There is one other thing you need to be aware of. If you let your kids ride anything bigger than a 90 until they are 16 and they are hurt in an acccident you could be liable. By liable I mean the state can take your kids away for child endangerment. Just think you go for a ride, they slip and get a small cut. The hospital staff calls children and youth and you have to explain to you kid why he has to live somewhere else with another family. I would never take that chance.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:24 AM
Red Rider

If you aren't an experienced rider yourself, we would be glad to meet you at some riding area and give you some lessons! There are a few basic things you need to know, and after that it is just a matter of building confidence in your machine and your ability. Like I said, I have taught numerous people to ride and never had an unsatisfied customer. I have thought of becoming a safety instructor, but have never had the time............

Another thing to consider. Think about maybe getting a 300EX in place of one of the 250EX's (I know....more money!). Let the 13 year old start out on the 250, but then he can most likely move up to the 300 pretty quickly.

Quick Reply: Got the heebie jeebies