2004 Foreman 450 ES Upshift Problem - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Go Back  ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community > Brand Discussions Area > Honda
Reload this Page >

2004 Foreman 450 ES Upshift Problem

Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2004 Foreman 450 ES Upshift Problem

Old 08-17-2018, 10:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2004 Foreman 450 ES Upshift Problem

New member - appreciate any help I can get.

Have a Honda 2004 Foreman 450 ES with less than 100 hours on it. Just brought it out of storage and it runs great. When stationary, the shifter works and I can run through all the gears. However, when I am driving at speed, I am unable to upshift until I coast down for a couple of seconds. I can hear the shifter trying to shift, but the gear doesn't change until I have slowed down substantially. This happens from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, etc. I can downshift at speed without issue.

I searched and read several forum posts and didn't see this exact issue mentioned.

Thanks!

Old 08-18-2018, 11:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Check the clutch adjustment. may as well be sure it is right. Other possibilities are shift motor brushes stuck, though I would have thought upshift and downshift would both be affected, but most likely a faulty up button, which is not letting full power through it.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks merryman! I will try the clutch adjustment.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by cadlr View Post
New member - appreciate any help I can get.

Have a Honda 2004 Foreman 450 ES with less than 100 hours on it. Just brought it out of storage and it runs great. When stationary, the shifter works and I can run through all the gears. However, when I am driving at speed, I am unable to upshift until I coast down for a couple of seconds. I can hear the shifter trying to shift, but the gear doesn't change until I have slowed down substantially. This happens from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, etc. I can downshift at speed without issue.

I searched and read several forum posts and didn't see this exact issue mentioned.

Thanks!
I had the same issues with both my foreman's. When the battery gets old and loses the amps on it there is not enough power to shift the motor switch and move it into the next gear. I put 2 new batteries in them and they worked fine from there on for the next few years and then sold them. Big mistake. I should have kept both of them.