Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher vs magnum 325

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-1999, 10:17 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend who is debating on buying a new mag or a rancher. I wanted to say get the polaris because in my opinion they make better 4bys but looking at it more closely I can't help to think Rancher. help me out on theis one. which one ?

What are the price differences.

Old 11-24-1999, 12:17 PM
Range Rover

That's a tough one. Both machines are so close. If the Rancher has real 4 wheel drive with the new "AP" front differential, I'd probably go with the Rancher, but of course I am bias towards Honda as you are to Polaris. I don't know enough about this new "AP" differential to know if it truly provides real 4 wheel drive. If this Honda is just another 3 wheel drive, I'd have to choose the Magnum. As far as reliabilty, Honda does have a much better track record, but I also believe Polaris has made great achievements improving reliability with their 4-stroke shaft drives such as the Mag 500 and 335. Like I said this is a tough choice, maybe you should tell your friend to buy both and sell which ever one breaks or gets stuck in the mudhole first. I'm sure we all wish this was an option.

[This message has been edited by YamaHonda (edited 11-24-1999).]

Old 11-25-1999, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider

i am thinking this friend of yours should go for the Honda, i have heard good things about this AP differential, it provides a better 4x4 system than the pervious models, and of course it always comes down to reliabilty, the Honda would prevail! Red Ride1

Old 11-25-1999, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

Don't forget Polaris also has the Expidition 325cc 5 speed now...
c-ya,

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer, both with RCR mods.

Old 11-26-1999, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

hey Andrew, thanks for the replya nd all, but polaris should have stuck with there automatics, they shouldnt have pulled a five speed out of there a$$. stick with either the automaitc polaris or the Rancher, which has the sweet new 4x4 system, that is alright Andrew you will realize that later....

Old 11-26-1999, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider

Ranger, I think it's good that Polaris is getting some manual shift machines in their lineup. If they plan on passing Honda in sales, they are gonna have to do that cause the other manufacturers are turning to automatics to boost their sales. I think it would be a mistake for Polaris to have a manual shift quad if it shifted choppy or notchy, the reverse procedure was too complex, and they had problems with it. But unfortunately, this is not the case, as they are very easy and smooth shifting and have a really good reverse procedure. I won't say about the reliability of it cause they're brand new still. But I think it's good. Now if they would only do this to a sport machine, along with a manual clutch and bigger motor, less weight and a twin cylinder engine!!

Old 11-26-1999, 01:46 AM
Range Rover

Ranger

Once again you have demonstrated your eloquence. My brother-in-law has a 425exp and it performs flawlessly. I have ridden it many times and it is a more than capable machine with smooth and instant shifting.

But hey, don't let me wake you.

Old 11-26-1999, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider

Rooster,
I agree about a Polaris sport quad. The auto doesn't bother me but the weight does. They really don't need a bigger motor because their motors are powerhouses now. It's just the quads are so heavy. I mean my Scrambler 400 beats my brothers 400EX in a drag race, but I can't jump as easy as he can.
On the other hand a 440 twin from their sled line would haul a**.
Ranger... I think you are living in the 80's.
Polaris quads have come a long way & soon they will be 1st in sales. Hondas are great but no-one wants the same old thing. The Rubicon may help but that ES tranny on their quads is a joke.
c-ya,

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer, both with RCR mods.

Old 11-26-1999, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

Ranger,

What's wrong with Polaris having a manual shift? If that's wrong, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki should drop all their auto-shift models. Plus, it shifts smoother than any Honda I have ever ridden.

Polaris lost some sales because of people not wanting automatic, but they liked everything else about the Polaris. Now that Polaris has most of it's features in a 5-spd, they are pulling even more Honda riders in.

[This message has been edited by quad_man (edited 11-27-1999).]

Old 11-26-1999, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

Andrew- I dont think you understand that Honda IS the most reliable and top-selling quad on the market, ppl buy the Honda's cuz they are the same old thing, they make the best. Then comes a tie with yamaha and polaris, granted polaris makes a great quad. but i dont see them passing honda in sales not now, not ever....

RangerSX

Quick Reply: Rancher vs magnum 325