Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Just how much oil does my Rubicon hold?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 03:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just how much oil does my Rubicon hold?

...Hey, I am changing oil in the 01 Rubicon tommorrow and was wondering how many quarts of oil to put in her? I am still waiting for the service manual to arrive so is there only one drainplug? or do I need to open other things up? I purchased the oil filter today but still have no clue which oil I will be using. I wish I knew what has been used in it for the last 8000+ miles[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Im pretty dumb so converting liters into quarts would be a difficult task for me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

also do I just drain the hypoid gear oil and fill back up till it runs out bottom of fillplug?

Thank you for your time and guidance.

MM

86 V65 Magna
84 4X4 Chevy Blazer(non gas)
01 Rubicon
78 Harley(with Evo) Ratbike
3 RailBuggies (one with Ford pinto motor)
Honda Pilot/Yamaha 1100 streetbike motor hybrid
Harley frame with Grand National twin turbo V-6 (still under construction)

Old 10-22-2002, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you change your filter and drain your transmission sump, and buy 5 containers the same size as what we call a litre, that should be lots of oil. Pensoil 10w-40 regular grade oil should be fine. If you have an owners manual, it should have everything you need to know in it. If not call a local dealer. Don't let them try to talk you into buying their oil though, there is nothing special about it.

Old 10-22-2002, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are two drain plugs on the bottom of the engine, drain both and change the filter. Replace the two O-rings on the filter adapter and the aluminum gaskets on the drain plugs. Your Honda dealer should have tons of them. It is better to "crush" the new drain plug gaskets than it is to strech the threads of the engine case. I replace the drain plug gaskets and oil filter O-rings every time I change the oil. No leaks for me.

On the diff, drain them and fill them until it runs out of the fill hole.

Your engine holds 5.2 quarts of oil.

Let the engine idle for about 5 minutes without reving it or putting it in gear. Shut the engine off and pull the dip stick, wipe it off and install it all the way without screwing it in. Pull it back out and the two marks the oil level needs to be between are near the top of the dip stick.

Good luck.

Valvolin, #1 choice of top mechanics.