Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Strangest Things You've Seen In The Woods......

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 01:08 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strangest Things You've Seen In The Woods......

Click!

Old 01-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

coon dog gone bad????

Old 01-07-2006, 03:25 AM
Pro Rider

I would have to say the stranges thing I have ever personally seen was the other day when I shot a big 8 ptr at 65 yrds with a 300WSM. He hunched, then ran bout 25 steps, then walked like nothing in the world was wrong. I bolted again, but by then he was off in the thick stuff where I could see, but not shoot. Soon he was rubbing on a tree and tending a scrape. I could see him off and on for about 20 mins. A few times I thought I saw him lay down, only to see him move again. Finally, I heard my partner shoot twice. When he shot, the buck was gruntin. Took two shots from his .243 to put him down. When I got over to see the deer, I was half sick he got him, and half glad he didnt get away to suffer and die. Sure enough he had a 30 cal hole in his side, and huge bulge on the other side where the bullet didnt exit.

No more ballistic tips for me. Twice they have let me down(the first time I had to kill the deer with my knife). I have swapped to a 165 gn Federal Fusion in my short mag.

Old 01-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Trailblazer

Not so strange but while hunting coon in fl,
well went into the woods a few miles with three dogs they took off and you could hear them going at it with something, I tried to run to where they were when two of them ran past me, I was a bit confused i had a 22long rifle and knew whatever sent my dogs running would be hard to take with a 22 so i stopped but nuthing, Ok so here they come about 30 hog by the time I saw them they were right on top of me I dropped the rifle trying to climb a tree needless to say I lost a dog and spent one very long night and morning in a tree!
I live in ct now but after that trip I bought a 357 to keep on my side but of course that never happened again while hunting.
I have also had a screech owl scare the hell out of me while walking in the woods at dead of night, it wasn't 10 feet from me when it let out its yell, almost pooped my paints.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

I hate when I'm walking to my standand a stupid grouse decides I'm to take off. Scares the crap outta me every time! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Ginnis
I hate when I'm walking to my standand a stupid grouse decides I'm to take off. Scares the crap outta me every time! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Haha, you gotta love the grouse![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-09-2006, 02:18 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: enFORCER
Originally posted by: Slash0311
One guy always has his golden retriever with him. Dog got too close to almost dead deer and took an antler to the side. A trip to the VET-ER and the dog lived barely! Seperated ribs three puncture wounds. If he had waited any longer to take it to the vet, the dog would be in the happy hunting ground in the sky! The deer was a nice 9 pointer if anyone wanted to keep score!
Hmmmm, I don't know of any State where it is legal to use dogs while hunting deer....
Where I live thats called poaching.......................
no, thats not poaching when you lose an arrowed deer in a heavy swamp,etc. i hunt near such an area in UP michigan and on more than 1 occasion have used a dog to track ,rather than leave the animal to the buzzards, you wouldnt believe how far and into what a wounded deer will go. not talking about poor shooting either, any animal is wounded until its dead, and deer can go 100 yds easily after a well placed bow shot . now that animal may run in any direction in a 360 circle, a lot of ground to search in heavy cover, combine that scenario with a late day shot and the likelyhood of a visual track/find goes way down. somtimes the use of a dog to track is the responsible thing to do

Old 01-10-2006, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok which one first ,my dads neighbors dad was bow hunting and had gotten a dieing rabbit call for coyote hunting , he had giving several calls and before he knew it he was surrounded by about 10 coyotes around his tree .

then my dad was at our family cabin by Grantsburg Wisc and was enjoying a good book and a drink out on the deck when he heard a growling-woof sound ,he looked to the bottom of the stairs 6feet away and there was a black bear looking at him , he took off to get in to the cabin and the bear took off for the woods .

almost kicked a skunk walking down to the lake to go duck hunting at O dark in the morning

my son was about 4 up at my cabin and I was playing cards with a buddy when my son come in to ask where his pop gun is ,and i ask him what he's going to do he says he was going to shoot a bear ,so i said good luck ,didn't think any thing about it till my dogs started going nuts barking, which they never do so i look out and my son is running back scared , i guess when the bear actually got treed by my dogs he growled and scared him ,

Old 01-10-2006, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

Crap dude, the last one's the best. What would he ever do with all the meat though? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-10-2006, 08:04 PM
Trailblazer

lesson learned.....Grouse scares you.....you shoot at grouse with a .44 mag revolver......You don't see any deer, alllllllllllll day. Darn grouse!!

Quick Reply: Strangest Things You've Seen In The Woods......