Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Bow String Loops?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fixed blade heads seldom group right with field tips right out of the gate. If they do, consider yourself very lucky.

You need to broadhead tune your bow. It sounds kinda scary at first, but when you think about it logically, it's actually quite simple to understand whats happening...

First off, step back to 20 yards to start and shoot 3 field tipped arrows into your target using your best form. Don't rush your shots, these are your baseline. Next, from the same distance, shoot 3 broadhead tipped arrows. Take a look at where these arrows are in the target and if you think about it, it's pretty easy to visualize what's happening to cause the difference and make appropriate adjustments to correct it.

For example, let's say your broadheads hit 3" low of your practice tips. This tells me your arrows are coming out of the bow tail high, the broadheads are catching wind and causing your arrows to dive. To fix it, either lower your nocking point or raise your arrow rest in small increments until the problem has been resolved. The same thing would happen if your arrows were leaving the bow tail left... In this situation the broadheads would steer your shafts to the right. Move your rest out in small increments until the problem is resolved.

Pretty basic, really, but this is all assuming that you are using good shooting form and your arrows are of proper spine and well balanced for your set-up. If either of these are not right, you'll never have good results tuning for broadheads and will chase your tail awhile trying to figure out what your doing wrong.

Once you get this down, you can gradually increase the range to fine tune even further until you are completely satisfied that you are shooting to the best of your ability.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put a new string on my bow this week.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/albu...?dl=1247284117

I had it sighted in out to 50 yards an noticed some hairs on the string. Got to start over tomorrow.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 19TankHead60
I just put a new string on my bow this week.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/albu...?dl=1247284117

I had it sighted in out to 50 yards an noticed some hairs on the string. Got to start over tomorrow.
the hairs dont hurt nothing keep it waxed up good!

what kind of string did you get? I have the best luck with custom strings made from 452X , keep your string waxed ! Bohning makes a decent wax that ive been using for years, but recently tried scorpion venom and its great stuff, if your string is like FastFlight material you will get the hairs and once it stretches your cam or cams will get out of time and the cable and strings will need a few twists (probably).

ive had great luck with Vapor Trails and ProLine strings neither have stretched and i bet i got 12,000 shots on the VT strings. I wax my strings and cables just about every time i shoot if i get excessive wax build up I clean the string with Scorpion venom cleaner and re wax.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

I didn't know your were supposed to wax the whole string instead of just by the cams. Found that aout when I went and got the new string. Shot the new string morning. 20-50 yards is good. Maybe I started getting tired sighting in my last pin at 60 yards. besides fine tuning I don't work on my bows. But it was reassuring that the guy that put on the string called while I was shootin to see if I got the peep sight ligned up w/ the loop. I just got turned on to him by another bow hunter I ran into. Retied with a nice shop and lots of knowledge that I'm gonna try take avantage of.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

i always found that after your fletching does that you can run a lighter at a bit of a distance back and fourth and your vanes will straighten right out just don't get to close to fast

Old 07-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

Which releases does everybody use? I use one of the single action lever type. Only one arm moves upon release. My supplier said those are the slowest of all releases. Behind the ones that both arms move upon trigger release. At least he said it was a dependable one. He had some Scott Rhino ones at a good price. I like how he was able to set the release while not looking at the loop. The setting point is right at your fingertips.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

Scott Itty Bitty Goose (hunting)

Carter Evolution Plus (for training and target panic reasons)

Tru Ball BT gold 3 finger Hinge (no saftey) for target and everyday shooting.

If your not shooting with back tension learn to! 95 % of hunters are afraid to admit they have any target panic, why?cause they dont realize they do it comes in many forms. switch to a hinge learn to shoot it correctly and you would be surprised at the results.