Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

what are the benefits for a larger tire

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are the benefits for a larger tire

why is everyone going to the larger tires? i.e. 26" - 28" i dont plan to run the mud bogges. i just want to run on everyday trails.

is their a benefit to run larger tires? speed or handling

napa #7335
145f/147.5r jets
dyna cdi
epi black
700p drive spring
warn 2000
plow

Old 04-12-2004, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

If you have the mods to produce the power, larger tires could get you more speed. Tires weight takes that speed away, so you hafta have the muscle to push em.

The biggest advantage is ground clearance.

Handling is generally worse with bigger tires.

Floatation is increased by width and dia. I'm not talking floating in free water. In soup, you can sink less with bigger tires. Applies to sand too.
Bigger contact patches are helpful in snow.
Bigger contact patches can help bite more mud.
If you were to ride in sand, you could utilize diameter or width of both to match your paddles to you power.

Old 04-12-2004, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

NYROC has explained that pretty well... I'd like to say that bigger isn't always better... I like to run "little" V Force tires & wheels on my Prairie, for hare scramble racing, & Ice racing... I'd even like to try TT racing with my Prairie... I have probably more sets of tires & wheels, than any other poster, only because I hate to lose, & I like to compete in every type of ATV competition that I can ... they range in diameter from 22" to 32", & vary in width from 6" to 12.5", & the tread vary's from a flat X pattern, like the Schredders, or Hole Shot ATR's, to a paddle tire like the Paddlemasters, or Tractor tread... the biggest thing is to choose the right tire for the riding you intend to do... IMO, most of the people going to taller tires, unless they spend most of thier time in the mud holes, probably are only gaining better looks, & generally more durability, by going to the bigger tires...

Old 04-12-2004, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

nyroc and newbeatle
thank you for your input.

i will stick with the stock size. i dont want to lose any of the handling characteristic that i have now, which arent that good because of the stock tires. i know with better tires it will improve. i do run the occasional mud pit around here but not often. i just like to see how fast i can run it with out missing the turn.

i know this has been hit alot but i have to try. i ride on sand, loose dirt, hard packed, little bits of mud, railroad gravel & small amounts of pavement. in your own opinion what kind of tire should i get? i will stick with the factory sizing.

napa #7335
145f/147.5r jets
dynatek cdi
epi black
700p drive spring
warn 2000
plow

Old 04-12-2004, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

I've had a pair ( fronts ) of 25" ATR's for over a year... I just bought a ( rear ) pair of Carlysle Badlands radials 25" X 11" X 12"... I don't have them mounted up yet, but I think they are going to be an awesome all around tire... the reason I only ordered the rears, is because I like the ATR tread pattern for the fronts, & the Bad Lands tread pattern for the rears... I think this combo may turn out to be the ultimate 25" trail tire set up...

Old 04-12-2004, 10:24 PM
Trailblazer

With your type of riding i cant find a reason why you would want to try taller tires. You lose a lot of power with 27" tires. Approximately 3 quad lengths in 300' drag. That is a lot of ground to lose. I find myself playing in the mud less all the time. Soon as my bugs wear out i will be going down to 25s again. Just havent decided which brand yet. Probably bugs cause i like them so much.

Old 04-12-2004, 10:55 PM
Range Rover

You should consider Maxxis Bighorns. The Holeshots may be a little better on hardpack but ANY tire will be a huge improvement vs. stockers. The Bighorns seem to be tough as nails and they definately got the BLING! BLING!

Old 04-13-2004, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

I'm with Newbeatle on this, I just bought some 26 inch Bearclaws for trail riding. I bought them because I ride lots of rock and loose dirt trails. With stock tires I was always wrried about ripping up a tire in the rocks and I often scrapped over rocks and ledges so I wanted just a little more clearance and a tough 6 ply tire for durability. I am looking at getting something else for racing like All Tracs or might consider the Badland I was looking at them today in the Polaris dealers showroom. You need to match the tire to your riding and where you intend to ride.