Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

dayco belt

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dayco belt

Bumper to Bumper off of 280 and kasota ave

FYI
Here's the scoop on Cogs, direct from Dayco:

I've been reading all the talk of the purpose of cogs and comparing the stock belt to the Dayco belt. So I decided to call Dayco direct and I spoke with an engineer asking him if they were going to make a top and bottom cog belt for the Prairie and he said no. Their new line "HPX" of sled belts are top and bottom cog, but we all know the "HP 2018" does not have top cogs, only bottom.
Anyhoo, he told me the purpose of the cogs is to increase "transverse crush strength", they are NOT intended for cooling (although do a little), or easier bending or unsprung weight decrease. From how he explained it, basically it reduces the belt from "squishing" if you can believe that. It makes sense to me, the ribs or "cogs" create more column strength width vs. just pure rubber. Its like corrogated cardboard is stronger than plain flat cardboard.
SO, he said on lower (less than 100HP) Horse power applications (like the ATVs) , the cogs are a minimal gain or concern, they were developed for higher horse power applications (100+ HP snowmobiles) But he did admit the factory design is better for longevity than theirs, but at twice the cost, I don't think its worth it. So I'm getting a Dayco since its wider and half the price of a kawi belt. He did not say who makes kawi's belt, he seemed to know but wouldn't tell me