Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Got my 360 back today

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 09:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my 360 back today

Picked up my Prairie at the dealership, Renton Motorcycle, this morning. It's been in to correct a frozen bearing on the crankshaft. Factory assembly defect that was covered under the new vehicle warrantee. As expected it runs perfect but I can't really get on it as the engine needs to go through break in again.

Really pleased with the service I recieved from this dealership and the apparent quality of the repair work. I looked the quad over very close today and could find no indication of missing bolts, stripped threads or bolt heads. No new scratches or other problems.

If it hadn't been covered by the factory or extended warrantee the cost would have been around $2500.00.

Sure is nice to have my toy back. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-20-2004, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

Hey tencubed

welcome back--I dont want to get this discussion goin agin, but i dont believe in brakin it in. I like to run the heck outof em.

I was playing with jets again tonight and I think I will have to order a richer pilot jet??? Little flat spot still at about 1/4 throttle and that is with a 160 main(running rich at top end too, I probably need a 157 main that SUDCO.com was sold out of)

Hey Uinthas--If your lurkin--could you look in your 360 manual and tell me what the jet is called that is right next to the main???? I pulled it out and it is a 90??? It is shaped the same and threaded the same as the main??? I also pulled the pilot jet out tonight and if my old eyes dont decieve me it looks to be a 35--I would like to order a couple sizes richer, but want to know what the third jet is first.-I will also cut my pink speed sensor wire this weekend--I have been in touch with newbeatle about trying a module and it looks like it is gonna happen, but i will report what happens with pink wire cut.

Tencube--what mods do you have?????

Old 05-20-2004, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

You don't have to break it in if they did not replace the piston and rings.

That bearing doesn't need anything special.

Give it plenty of gas during breakin, but avoid high RPMs and idling long time.

Idling a long time can cause rings to not seat well.

Too high of an RPM can cause glazing.

Give it full throttle, but keep RPM down.

Old 05-20-2004, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

And another thing I noticed
Stock main is a 155

i picked up from dealer about 4 weeks ago a 150 main that I was runnin with dial a jet
What I noticed then was cooling fan was running quite often and bike was running good,fan was running a lot more than with 155 main

Last week I recieved about 5 jets from sudco 160--162--165--167--170

I had 165 in since last week and bike was running good but plug was showing black at top of threads
But I also noticed cooling fan hardley ever came on

tonight i put in 160 and checked plug and it is still a little black, and I noticed fan never came on???

Between all these jet sizes I am not sure exactly what jet runs the best yet. but I will narrow them down by checking plug color,

Old 05-21-2004, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

if your looking at the the carb upside down & the idle *** to the right & the fuel inlet to the left this is how it reads..

Main jet (top) slightly left & down is the pilot jet, then further down from that & to the right is the starter jet. I dont know any numbers off the other jets, never have puled them.. If you want I'll fax a copy of this to you

Yea if you go through with your experiment with that CDI I'd love to her the results..

Old 05-21-2004, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

Thanx Uinthas--if you dont mind FAX # 724 537-9313 att: Tim

Hey Nyroc---what the heck is a starter Jet???? Never heard of one of these before-- But I got one---do I need to play with this jet also??

Old 05-22-2004, 12:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Originally posted by: nyroc
You don't have to break it in if they did not replace the piston and rings.

Everything is new with the exception of the complete head and cylinder. Even the crankcase is new.

That bearing doesn't need anything special.

Give it plenty of gas during breakin, but avoid high RPMs and idling long time.

Idling a long time can cause rings to not seat well.

Too high of an RPM can cause glazing.

Most folks don't believe this can happen but I agree with you. Have seen this happen when engines were run at too high an RPM when first started. Another problem is running at too low an RPM on startup to break in the camshaft. Iski Cams suggested 2000 to 2250 for the first few min.

Give it full throttle, but keep RPM down.
Again I agree. Have used this method for many years on many engines with good results. Hope it works on this engine.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-22-2004, 01:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Originally posted by: OleManMoses
Hey tencubed

welcome back--I dont want to get this discussion goin agin, but i dont believe in brakin it in. I like to run the heck outof em.

Tencube--what mods do you have?????
Yeh, the "break in" debate will rage forever for sure. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

As to mod's, I added a speedo, winch, Swisher plow and bucket, Slime and some home made skid plates. Just bought a rear rack storage box, Plano, which was close to a waste of money. The thing is light weight to the point of being flimsey and the mounting system sucks. Will have to do some mods to it to make it usable. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

How much improvment have you gained with all your modifications? I would like to see a head to head run off between a stock machine and yours. From what I have read I wonder if just buying a bigger machine wouldn't be easier and cheaper.

Old 06-02-2004, 07:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Ran the new engine in over the past several days while at our farm. Did about six hours of just running around with no load on it and then used it to pull a mower for several hours. Took it out on the flats about every hour while doing the mowing, after unhooking the mower, and wound it up some. Changed the oil at the 10 hour mark and again at 20 hours.

Don't know what the mechanic at the dealership did to this engine but it is smoother and stronger than it was before. It does seem to be a bit more cold blooded on startup in the mornings but once warmed up really runs well.

Last I saw of my 360 was my Daughter dragging the rough cut mower over a bunch of sagebrush while grinning like crazy.

OleManMoses; Been reading your other threads on jetting and such, sure hope you find someone with a stock 360 to compair performance with. I really wonder about all the mods some folks do especially when you consider the possible warrantee problems.

Old 06-03-2004, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Tencubed---not concerned about the warranty--it went away a long time ago--I do not have any extended warranty---I am presently experimenting with jets, and this is were I am presently::
Airbox lid removed
snorkel removed
timing key inserted
nyroc muf mod
twin air filter
165 main (put in last night, down from the 170 main)
No needle shim
regular gas

THIS IS THE BEST BIKE HAS RUN YET IN MID RANGE THROTTLE--THE BACK WHEELS ARE SPINNING AWESOME ON DRY GRASS WHEN HOT-RODDING THROUGH THE YARD--- IT IS STILL BREAKING UP AT WOT BUT NOT TOO BAD!

Tonight I go down to the 162 main and will put a new plug in and take plug reading at wot.

I kinda have a feeling when I get main dialed in just right, that I will probably have to shim needle to get my awesome mid range back (I think)

I will dial bike in to run best with snorkel and airbox lid removed, but I will then come up with some way to reinstall a snorkel (probably a radiator hose or something) I thought about leaving airbox lid off but dont like the idea of maybe crossing a deep stream someday.