Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Dalton Clutch Springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 08:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dalton Clutch Springs

What is the secondary spring all about? Does it need to be replaced when changing to a new primary spring? Thanks

Old 02-23-2005, 11:18 PM
Trailblazer

not sure that is what i was wondering...But i do know how to install them now...took a second look at nyrok

Old 02-24-2005, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

The V (KFX) does not need secondary spring replacement. Only the primary.

Old 02-24-2005, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

Alex: Just a short explanation of the secondary spring function....it is to grip the belt as the driven or secondary clutch is being driven. The EPI black spring holds the belt tighter than the stock spring, thereby giving the belt longer life by not slipping on the sheave. Another benefit of the belt not slipping on the secondary sheave is that it doesn't wear a groove and cause replacement or machining of it.

Look at the signatures on the forum, half or more of the guys have this spring, and it all started with nyroc recommending it. I would just figure on installing the EPI black spring and an orange/blue Dalton primary spring if I were you. You can always change out either spring pretty quick, after doing it once, if you want to, cause they're only about $20.

On my P650, I have the black spring and EPI pink spring on the primary. Could clearly tell a difference when I added the pink spring in place of the stock spring. The EPI maroon spring is probably about the same as the Dalton orange/blue.

These springs are not hard to change and if you don't like one, you can stick another one in there. By the way, you don't need to worry about a 'clutch kit'. Make sure your bike is jetted and clutch weighted properly for your altitude, then you can play around with the springs. Kawi's come set up for sea level, so in my case at 7,000' and up, jetting and clutching must be modified. Then the springs. You do not have to buy a 'kit' unless Ritter or Dale recommends it (then you still don't have to if your bike is pulling real good from stop to top, just get the springs you want).

Old 02-24-2005, 01:00 AM
Trailblazer

yeah i called to speak to dale today and he was on teh other line with a call...i am going to try again tomorrow... But i have to install a hmf pipe tomorrow....shouldnt take too long...have to rejet too...

thanks

Old 02-24-2005, 07:49 AM
Range Rover

do the springs once, they are simple. as far as the secondary spring the only reason to change it would be if you're not backshifting good enough for your taste. that spring is for backshifting. by changeing it you will lose some top end. also with your 27 in tires you will get more mph along with less low end. this is probably why it feels like its not as fast. (changes your gear ratio.) just try the primary.