Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

anyone had problems with their copperhead cdi?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 10:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone had problems with their copperhead cdi?

I went thorough a deep puddle and I lost one cylinder. Put the stock cdi back on and then runs fine.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:57 PM
Trailblazer

Yea. Whenever the wires get wet from steam or a mud puddle it will cause it to die or cut out really bad. Over on Nyroc's site there is a very long thread over this and it is also pinned over on Kawieriders.

Old 03-24-2006, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was the main reason I decided not to get the Copperhead or any more electronic goodies anymore, they all have proven not to work the way they were promise too. And now with the VDI, for it to work correctly you now Must Upgrade Your Stock Spark Plug Wires to handle the output power that the VDI Copperhead produces.
Why wasn't this problem found out during the intense Beta testing, seems a bit odd.
I'm sure you will get it up and running correctly but it will take a few more $$ to get it right..

Old 03-24-2006, 12:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks where do you get the aftermarket spark plug wires?

Old 03-24-2006, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

So far my Copper head has been working perfect. When I installed it, I loaded the connectors with dielectric grease to keep out any moisture. This has proven successful thus far. I do live in a relatively dry climate where water crossings are far and few between. I will be up in some snow over Easter and will get a better idea of the reliability of the copperhead at that time.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:59 AM
Range Rover

I ride in deep snow all of the time, and have never had any trouble with mine.

Old 03-24-2006, 05:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have had no problems at all. This piece of electronics is well designed and works much better than the factory cdi. There were 2 problems the surfaced and both have been taken care of by Velocity Devices Inc. Some people found that if the engine was left idling for more than a couple of minutes it would stall. Velocity Devices made a change in their firmware that cured the problem and made it available on their website for those who had bought the programming module. For those that didn't buy the programming module Velocity Devices mailed them the firmware and a free $50 module and cable. The second problem occured with several people that had problems after running through water. Velocity Devices determined the problem to be with the ignition coils getting wet and they have made available a procedure to cure that problem. They are very commited to their customer base and are trying their best to make this project work. Anyone interested should email Lyle at Velocity Devices and ask questions of him. He is quick to reply and seems to enjoy helping others even if its not related to the CDI that he sells. I give them an A++ for quality and service. They'll be offering an EFI kit that ties in with the CDI sometime in the future. Correct, foolproof fuel mixture under all conditions and proper ignition advance...it just don't get any better than that!

Old 03-24-2006, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

My copperhead is only a couple of months old, so maybe it's sealed better, I'm not sure. I do know that it's on my 700 with the tracks on it and those things pack every possible nook and cranny on the bike with ice. I couldn't even work the seat lever one day it was frozen into ice. When I did get the seat off, the space under the seat had ice in it as well. I did fill every connection with the dielectric grease but I would have done that on the stock one as well. I have had no problems even with extreme cold weather starts(-25 celsius) or it sitting on the lake overnight.

In three days it will have the tires back on it and I can't wait to see how much jam this CDI really makes!

Old 03-29-2006, 04:07 PM
Range Rover

I have decided to go through and seal my coils even though I haven't had a problem with my machine. I think it will be good preventive maintenance. I purchased the NGK CR1 wires at www.clubplug.net they are priced much lower than anyone else I have found, even locally. I paid $30 for all the parts necessary for the coil sealing.