Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

1986 Bayou 300 choke wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 05:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 Bayou 300 choke wiring question

Hello everyone, I have a new to me 86 Bayou 300 that I just bought last night to get around the property. It wouldn't start when I bought it but it did turn over with starting fluid, PO said the carb neeeded cleaned. I cleaned the carb today but need to get the choke wired up as it was not wired up when purchased.

I'm hoping one of you can help me get this choke wired up. Coming from the carb it has 2 wires. 1 is yellow and 1 is black. The PO said I needed to ground one and put the other one on a switch.

Should I do it this way or is there another/better way to do it? I'd really appreciate any help I could get!! Thanks in advance!

Old 12-03-2015, 03:51 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 343 Likes on 334 Posts

Babbits on-line parts books show 1988 as the first year for the 300 and the carb is the same manual choke CD type as was fitted to the lat KLF300 circa 2006. I've never come across a 300 with an electric choke. Most electric chokes use a complex system involving a heater coil melting wax,and are wired to the alternator, so if someone has fitted the wrong carb, best to get the right one rather than try to get the wrong one working.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
Babbits on-line parts books show 1988 as the first year for the 300 and the carb is the same manual choke CD type as was fitted to the lat KLF300 circa 2006. I've never come across a 300 with an electric choke. Most electric chokes use a complex system involving a heater coil melting wax,and are wired to the alternator, so if someone has fitted the wrong carb, best to get the right one rather than try to get the wrong one working.

merryman, thank you very much for the response!!

That is very weird if that is the case. The left hand grip has a label and a switch that says "choke" with a arrow by it showing which way to push for the electric choke. So, I'm assuming somebody must have put those handlebars on too?

Either way, thank you very much for the help. If I purchase the correct carb I assume I would need to buy a manual choke also?

Thank you very much!!

Old 12-03-2015, 07:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just to update. I just texted the guy who I bought this off of and he said that the carb is out of a chinese atv and the bike originally did have a manual choke. Not sure why they changed to this carb but he said that he had it running like this for a few years.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 343 Likes on 334 Posts

It makes you wonder why he didn't connect the choke then. You would have to fit the cable operated system if you went back to the original carb. Are you sure that "switch" isn't the stumpy lever for the choke cable? It does look like an electric switch.

It's just possible one of those "manual choke conversions" sold on eBay, may fit your Chinese carb, if you can work out which one you need.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
It makes you wonder why he didn't connect the choke then. You would have to fit the cable operated system if you went back to the original carb. Are you sure that "switch" isn't the stumpy lever for the choke cable? It does look like an electric switch.

It's just possible one of those "manual choke conversions" sold on eBay, may fit your Chinese carb, if you can work out which one you need.

Thanks for the reply. I ordered a aftermarket original one and will either run a choke cable if needed or I'll try to manually choke with my hand. It doesn't have the factory gas tank on it so I can reach the carb and do manually if needed.

Hopefully carb will be here Monday and I can get this thing running.

Thanks again!!

Old 12-05-2015, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Is this an USA Model? or Canada?

Old 12-05-2015, 09:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by papa hogg scoot
Is this an USA Model? or Canada?
Wouldn't know exactly for sure but I'd assume a USA model. I'm in Texas but not sure where it originated in 1986.