Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 07:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 Clutch

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is something that I am doing wrong or if there is a fix for a clutch problem that I am having with a 2000 LT80. The rollers in the front clutch keep getting twisted in the hub and not allowing the clutch to work properly. I have had it apart probably 3 or 4 times and clean it up and even put new rollers in. It works great for a while, but over a fairly short amount of riding time, (sometimes months, sometimes a couple of rides) the thing seems to not allow the clutch to work right and it won't go back to the primary clutch, it stays in the secondary and has no low end. After pulling it apart I find that at least one or two of the rollers are kicked sideways again. I have tried a little grease, I have tried no grease, I have tried extra grease? I also was wondering if anyone knows about a different washer or no washer on the older LT80's between the front clutch hubs to allow the belt to slide down a little farther to stay in the primary longer for more bottom end rpm?

I have never written in before , but I have read alot of the info that some of you have had over the last couple of years and thought it time for me to ask for myself. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 12-03-2003, 11:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default LT80 Clutch

Hi Pops [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
To keep having trouble is rare. Please take no offence in me saying that maybe an installation problem exsists.
1) suzuki literally packs the grease in there.
2)I use minimal grease, but rollers turning is not a problem.(I'm thinking that the amount of grease is not effecting any of this)
The grease holds the roller in place during installation. I grab the front clutch assemble (sliding face) with my thumb, my index finger holding the roller plate down on the rollers.I then slide it down on the crank. Apply side pressure to make sure the roller plate does not lift off the rollers. IF the plate comes off the rollers, remove and tear apart to make sure the rollers have not turned.Try again. You will get the hang of this quickly.Make sure the keyway is aligned and put the rest together.
Front clutch bushing:: the newer does use the washer, the old LT's have a longer bushing. This shouldn't effect you having a stock machine (use the washer set-up). We do use the long bushing once modified.
Please keep us informed [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-04-2003, 01:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default LT80 Clutch

Thanks for the reply. I agree that the first time I took it apart that it was an installation problem, but I am pretty sure that I have since figured out the proper way to install. It almost seems as if the clutch gets gummed up with dirt or sand, (we do a lot of dune riding), and then the plate does not slide back closed as easily as it should and sometimes when it stays open for that extra time it allows the rollers to getted twisted. Does that sound right? If so is there any way to help prevent this from happening?
I do have some porting done and the head shaved, K&N Filter, reeds, and the 428 size chain instead of the 520. Is the clutch spacer something that I would benefit from with these mods? I do not have anything done to the clutches. Is there a clutch mod that you could instruct me to do without having to send it in to anyone. I am a fairly good wrench on all of my other bikes, but I am very green at the centrifical clutches.

Thanks, Russ

Old 12-04-2003, 05:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LT80 Clutch

If I may throw this in: The secondary clutch spring is what actually holds the rollers into place in the primary clutch while it decelerates and is backshifting. I had a sheave come apart on the secondary and realized that fact. Since the primary doesnt have a spring it must rely on the secondary working properly, or it is an issue such as LT80 mentioned.Bubba

Old 12-04-2003, 07:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default LT80 Clutch

Absolutely correct Bubba [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I didn't mention the spring earlier cuz I presumed the motor was stock.The Ported motor surely could have heated the spring enough to loose tension.

Old 12-07-2003, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider
Default LT80 Clutch

LT80Pops both LT80 & Bubba297 know there stuff, just take your time and listen to what they have to say. You can't go wrong with there info, I've learned alot on the forums from them.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-04-2004, 02:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default LT80 Clutch

Pops,
I have a 2001 LT 80. I have removed the restrictors, Installed a DG pipe, Installed Reed Valves, Uni Air Filter, and wheel spacers. My daughter weighs 65 pounds and this is still a dog.... What is the next move with out affecting the dependibality of the bike????
Thanks for your help.....

Webb

Old 01-04-2004, 09:56 AM
Trailblazer
Default LT80 Clutch

webone, not to be mean but honestly you should not have wasted your money on the pipe and air filter. The lt80 has the best stock pipe and air filter of all the 90 minis. If you have not done clutch mods, you need to talk with LT80(jack).