Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Dinli 90cc quad. Am I making a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dinli 90cc quad. Am I making a mistake?

i'm in the market for a youth atv also. my son want's to switch from dirt bikes to atvs since i have one. he will be turning 7 this year but has long legs for his age. all the 50s he sat on were to small, his knees were to close to the handle bars. i looked at a bombardier DS50 and it fit him pretty good but haven't decided to go with it or a 90 yet. the DS50 and DS90 are the same size just different cc's. i considered the dinli but the only local dealer closed down so i would have to drive about 100mile to get one serviced. i'm not sure how the small DS holds up but my DS650 has done great in the last 14 months with not one problem, except me burning the tires off? guess i still haven't grown up? as for the donuts, i've learned i have to watch everything i do around my son unless i want him to copy it. sometimes he waits till the wrong time and place to copy or repeat something i did like at church. gotta love em though. if anyone has had any experience with the small DS let me know if you don't mind.

Old 02-29-2004, 06:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Here is an update and a review in case anyone is interested of two of Dinli's 90cc quads.
I picked up the quads on friday morning and in very short order had turned our yard in the city into one giant mud puddle. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I even gave the neighbors something to chuckle over- me, a 220 pound 5'11" old guy ripping around on a little 90cc quad. LOL.
Then saturday it was time to load them up an head out to the country where my son could learn the ropes and the rules of riding for the first time as well as my little cousins.

The Beast:
By and far the favorite of all three kids, it is about 40 pounds lighter than the Helix mainly because of the reverse gear in the Helix.
It was really amazing to me how responsive this little quad was in mud or on the grass(while it lasted), even with me on it. I now wish I had gone with two of these instead of buying the Helix. With the throttle limiter turned all the way in it still achieved 25+ MPH with your truly on it. I think this is it's only real downside. The suspension handled everything with no problem, cornering like a champ on dry ground or mud. The engine was very mild for a two stroke in my opinion with plenty of usable power down low with a very perky mid-range pull. I can't really say much about top end power simply because I won't be able to judge that untill the kids are much more experienced riders. Useless lights.

The Helix:
Starting out as my son's ride of choice (mainly because he thought it just looked so much cooler than the beast and being the color he picked out). It quickly became the bike he wanted everyone else to ride as he quickly found the Beast to be much more responsive as well as a smoother ride. It definately was a few notches down from the Beast in quickness, mainly I suspect because of the extra 40 pounds from the reverse gear. I don't understand why this quad rode so much rougher than the Beast. The heavier bike should have been smoother. Side by side the suspensions and frame look identical. I'll have to see what I can do to make it more friendly. On the plus side the extra weight made the throttle limiter noticeably more effective than it was on the beast. To me this is it's only advantage over the Beast other than the reverse gear itself for a beginner. It may be a better trail bike than the Beast because of the reverse gear but I don't see it as that much of an advantage. Almost has useable headlights.

Downsides of both machines:
I had to adjust the front brakes on both bikes twice. This is with less than 30 miles on either bike. That concerns me. The throttle limiter is almost useless. These bikes only lose about 10 to 15 MPH top speed with it adjusted all the way down and it doesn't affect the low end power whatsoever.

The kick starter is almost useless. It is possible to start the machines with it if they are already warmed up but it takes many kicks and the stroke of the kick start is extremely short. It is also quite easy for your foot to slip off and bang your ankle into the side of the footrest. Ouch.
Both bikes could use a little more fender over the rear tires. The front fenders are fine.
The lights on both machines are worthless IMHO.
No aftermarket parts yet available (that I know of).
Few accesories available through the dealer (although I am told that there is many planned).

Upside of both machines:
Fully enclosed foot rest, chain tensioner, speedometer and odometer standard. Easy to start warm or cold(with the electric start). Oil injection. Plenty of power for a young rider to grow into (although this may also be a bit of a double edged sword).
Price.
Both machines are of equal quality, maybe better than most, 90cc class quads.

Overall I am very happy with the bikes.
This is all IMHO, please take it as such. Mileage may very.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Fizzy.

Old 02-29-2004, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer

fizzy, i told you the beast would be the best choice. all quads have there good and bad points. i'm glad you and your children had some fun good luck in the future

Old 02-29-2004, 10:26 PM
Tin
Trailblazer

I found the same problem with the throttle limiter, when my mini piolts were just starting out. I bought a longer machine screw of the correct thread. That's if the thumb throttle is the same on those two quads as mine. I forgot about that till you mentioned it.

Old 03-01-2004, 08:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thats a damned good idea. I am a metal fabricator why didn't I think of that! Doh!
Thanks, I'll do that before this weekend for sure.

@ thunderisland

And you where absolutely correct. The Beast is the better choice IMHO also. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Edit: I wonder if I should try cutting out a restrictor plate for the exhaust? I could cut it out on the laser. Anyone else have any experience with installing a custom restrictor plate?

Old 03-03-2004, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

What ya'll really have to do is install a spacewrbetween the varaitor halves that willnot allow the machine to get into high gear. That way it can have power but not speed. If you limit the throttle, it will still get intop top gear just it will take it longer and it will not have any power to climb anything.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

My sister is 16 and she still rides the 90cc Dinli. It has plenty of growing space.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Dude, this thread is 7 years old.