Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Quad vs. Motorcycle Safety Q...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quad vs. Motorcycle Safety Q...

COnfused, That's caused by being a Canucklehead...<insert smile>

I think the most important thing about either is that you as a responsible adult spend time with the novices to make sure they get the basics down and can be safe. That means a lot more than just being able to go fast too. Much of what many of us have been trying to get across to parents is that the physical ability to ride is only about half of the equation. Common sense, and the ability to exercise self control is something that is lacking in the natural ability of a child, and it is not something that you can over emphasize in any training they receive either.

You need to keep hammering it home that they have to wear their helmets etc... and act responsibly when on any sort of powered equipment. They are not toys, and they do not have any rights to ride them... Riding is a priviledge that can be easisly revoked, and injury can occur if they lose their respect for the machine and mother nature. Trees and large rocks will always win the argument.. and when speed is introduced, the advantage always swings in their favor. You would swear that inside some obsticles, there are giant magnets that pull your machine right into them...

Being an adult means that there are going to be tough decisions that have to be made. The fact that the person who started this thread even asked the question show a great deal of concern, and a willingness to educate themselves so they can make a decision based on hard facts. They are also the only one that knows their children, and their abilities.

Try to include them in the decision process... but ultimately, you must decide what is best for the child. If that means they need to wait a year or two until you feel more comfortable with their ability to choose wisely and show some maturity, so be it. No matter what age they come into the sport, we want their experience to be a good one, filled with fun and excitement, not one filled with pain and suffering from injuries that could have been prevented.

And lastly, remember that the sport of ATV riding is a family endeavor unlike typical ball and stick sports where mom and dad sit on the sidelines and yell encouragement... this is one where mom and dad can ride right beside them and share the experience, and not just be a spectator. So get out there and play right along with them. Some call this quality time....

Old 09-01-2004, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

To get back to the original question.. In my research for changing of the guidelines (See other thread), I have come across a lot of statistical information on quads, but I have yet to come across anything related to dirt bikes in this regard. Whether that indicates that the statistical numbers are lower or not, I can't really say... but I think it is safe to say that ATV's do have a lot of people's attention. Whether this is due to actual numbers, or maybe it is a throwback to the dark ages of three wheelers.. it is hard to say. I think that there is certainly the possibility that people associate the two as being one and the same. Which most of us know is not true.. but that is another story. I also think they report ATV accidents, and that other types may not receive the same amount of scrutiny.

I think the key is education of the public to change this perception, and getting the truth out there for all to see.. and not let the negative lobby just throw out so called stats without ever proving their accuracy. What we need is reporting without an agenda.. what ever that may be.

One interesting item I did come across was that although I had been complaining that there wasn't any material out there to assist parents in their decision process, in fact I was wrong... there is a lot of data out there and readily available. Honda has a lot of brochures, videos etc available free for the asking to assist in deciding what size to buy, how to teach them basic riding technique, right up to helping determine if the child is emotionally capable of handling one. That is huge... and I commend Honda for it. The national safety council also has material available. It is amazing what you can find on the Internet these days.. all for free.

I recommend that if you are still mulling the decision over, to research the subject fully, and use the information to help you grade your child's ability to ride and make good decisions. What is a few minutes of computer time versus having an injury? Or worse. Check the guidelines thread for source URLs... I've included a few on that thread.....

And please do not take this as an endorsement for one brand over another.... If you look, I suspect several other makes have data like this as well.

Old 09-01-2004, 07:32 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Dragginbutt I will only add 1 thing, and I am sure we have brought it up in a previous post to some degree. Riding gear, Riding gear, Riding gear. You can not have too much protection.Full face helmet, goggle's, long sleeve shirt,maybe 2, (I personally wear 2 jersey's when ever I ride regardless of temperature, some times 3) , gloves, chest protector, riding pant's, boots. If your putting a kid on a dirtbike all this stuff is very necessary.Probubly more so for a quad. Remember, you dress for the crash, not the ride.

Old 09-02-2004, 08:36 AM
Pro Rider

Fully in agreement there... I can always tell when my 9 year old is in the mood... when he gets dressed, he puts on one of his jerseys. We have the boots, jerseys, MX pants, helmet, goggles, gloves, chest protector etc. I won't let him ride without it.

My older son used to be ho-hum about it.. until he crashed his street bike hard. He was clipped by an impatient driver who pulled out around three cars in the turn lane in front of her and clipped him as she turned left. I thank God I had given him his birthday present of a brand new racing leather jacket with all the body armor just two days earlier. It ruined a $600 jacket, a $300 helmet and $100 pair of gloves... but it saved his life.... Now, he doesn't ride without leather jacket and helmet. It doesn't matter if it is 100 degrees out side, the helmet, gloves and jacket are always on his body... A hard lesson to learn.. but one that was learned well.

I'd also suggest considering a neck roll as well. Helmets add a significant amount of weight to a child's neck/head. After Dale Earnhardt's demise, it really hit home. I know that the child will not be traveling 200 miles per hour, but even at 10 miles per hour, a sudden stop can place strain on a child's neck/spinal cord, and the weight of a helmet just makes it even worse. Something to think about.

Also, for those of you that are still listening.. as a child grows, helmets are one thing that you need to replace almost as often as shoes. Please consider giving the old ones to the less fortunate. I've seen time and again, where parents will buy something with a motor on it and give it to their kids, yet they don't spend the extra $75 for helmets. Come on, every kid deserves a helmet... even if it is slightly used. I have a standing offer at my local dealer, any time a parent can't afford a helmet for a child, put it on my bill. So far, I've paid for 4 helmets... but it lets me sleep better knowing they got an even chance...

I've also gotten two clubs I belong to, to have a helmet closet... for people who need a helmet to grab one. When members get a new one, they bring in the old one and make it available for anyone to use. ( with washable liners in many helmets these days, sanitary conditions can be maintained) Believe it or not, when we go for a club ride, I have yet to see a time when at least one wasn't used...