Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Removing rollers from front clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 03:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing rollers from front clutch

When you remove two front rollers from the front clutch in an lt80, do you take two out from the same track (side by side), or do you remove one roller from two of the three tracks?

Old 10-04-2004, 03:18 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just buy lighter rollers? They don't cost that much.

If you are just "trying it out", I would space them as far apart as you can.

Old 10-04-2004, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

Remove opposite rollers. That will leave 2 together, than an open space, then the other 2, and another open space.
I spent Saturday afternoon trying different setups on our LT and found for us, a old stock rear spring, lightened rear clutch shoes (170 grams), and 4 stock front rollers worked the best.

Old 10-04-2004, 05:58 PM
Trailblazer

asfas,
Did you get your top speed increased?

Old 10-05-2004, 02:47 AM
Pro Rider

And is your motor stock or modded?

Old 10-05-2004, 09:17 AM
Pro Rider

Our LT is mildly ported, I'm still running the FMF although I really want to put the stock pipe back on. I also have Boyseen reeds, 105 bigbore piston, milled the top of the sleeve, and waiting on a custom cut head from LT80. It runs really well, but I still believe the speed is a little slow. I had cut the rear shoes down to 170 grams, replaced the rear clutch spring, changed the front bushing (to the older longer style) and put lighter rollers in the front and it would pull like crazy. My 8 year old could give a tug on the bars and nail the throttle, and bring it over backwards. While that worked well for our woods riding, We have been trying to do a little racing, and theres no way he would ever keep up with the others. I started in last Saturday to find out why it was slow. I changed the rear spring back to the old stock one and it seemed to help. (the belt would go deeper in the rear pulley) I then changed the front bushing back to the shorter (newer style) and it really helped, except the take off was kinda slugish. So I put 4 stock front rollers back in, and it seems to be a pretty good compromise. I don't know what the top speed is now but it is definitely better.
I really like the LT, but, I'm about ready to call it quits on it. It seems like I spend alot more time working on it than riding it. My 8 year old has been going through a growth spurt and I've really been thinking about switching him to a blaster. I know I'll get blasted on here for saying it, but I'm tired of the lack of suspension, lack of anyone near me ever having parts, having to wait weeks for anything for it, and just having to work on this thing just to try and get it to run at the level my son is at. He's been riding for 3-4 years now and does a really good job. Hes had to ride our 300ex out of the woods for us, and had no problems with it. I believe I can make a blaster fit him better. I'm not completely sold on it yet, but I'm really leaning towards it.

Old 10-05-2004, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

Asfasasu3:

You said a mouth full!!!

"I really like the LT, but, I'm about ready to call it quits on it. It seems like I spend alot more time working on it than riding it. My 8 year old has been going through a growth spurt and I've really been thinking about switching him to a blaster. I know I'll get blasted on here for saying it, but I'm tired of the lack of suspension, lack of anyone near me ever having parts, having to wait weeks for anything for it, and just having to work on this thing just to try and get it to run at the level my son is at."

I too hae been pulling my hair out trying changes. Front Clutch: less rollers, more rollers, lighter rollers. different amounts of grease in the rollers. Rear Clutch: soft springs stiff springs, different clutch arm weights. Carb Jetting: smaller/larger mains & pilots jets, also needle settings. Gearing: used 520 size, told to go use 428 size, so bought various sizes and played with ratios. Different Pipes...... jetting again... gearing to...... I just about had everything about right with a mid-range pipe, but in search of more power I tried a top-end pipe and now I'm back to fooling with everything again. I too am also thinking about moving my son over to a Blaster. The idea of a tranny/wet clutch setup seems like it would be much simpler than these centrifugal clutch setup's...... But, I guess I'll hold off for at least (1) more year. I just picked up a used bottom end that I think I'll send off to have built up as a stroker motor.

Rude Dog

Old 10-06-2004, 10:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I couldnt get good enough times with 4 rollers and the FMF pipe. There wasnt enough weight in the front clutch for a fast shiftout, it tended to wind and not go very well. I went with 6 drilled rollers. Also you guys need to go to about 155 grams on the rear clutch. It doesn't stall up too high. We took our daughter earlier this year up into the mountains for a trail ride and her's did great. They are still tame at that point. It willhelp a lot on a good takeoff but wont affect clutch operation.

Old 10-06-2004, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!

For those of you who want more travel out of your LT80 front shocks, I saw someone on ebay selling a kit with shocks that gave 5" of travel up front, that is over 2 times stock, should make a big difference in the ride and landings from jumps, along with a widening kit.