Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Carter Talon GX Woes

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 01:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carter Talon GX Woes

Hey guys, I have been lurking and reading the forums for quite a while now, and I just now have a problem that I feel I need help with. We just bought one of the new Carter Talon GX 125IIR ATVs, and we have had nothing but problems with it from day one. The day we bought it, we got it home, unloaded it from the truck and cranked it up, let it idle for 4 or 5 mins and then my wife and youngest son rode it around the 1/2 acre lot beside our house. It was then time for me and my oldest son to jump on it and right away I hear a clicking noise from the passenger side tire, so we stopped got off and looked, it seems that whoever assembled the cart mounted the rim backwards on the cart, so the valve stem was hitting the caliper as it turned, no big deal, remove wheel, install new valve stem, add air and all is fine. We woke up on Saturday morning ready to enjoy our new toy, go outside crank it up and let it idle for a few minutes, rode around the lot, and decided to take it to a field down the street, once we made it to the field I tried to put the cart in reverse, nothing but a bunch of pops, so we load the cart back up, take it back to the place of purchase, and they adjust the reverse cable, all is fine, made it home rode it for about 4 hours and put it up. Sunday: go out crank it up back it off the patio, and make one run around the lot, I stop to let the wife drive and it dies, we crank it back up and it goes 10 feet and dies and won't crank again, load it back up and take it to the shop and they claim it was bad gas, the same gas we ran all day on Saturday with. They put a new tank on flush the lines and install a new filter, cranks right up and idles fine. Get it back home, unload it, make a run around the lot and it starts sputtering again, and dies, but now it cranks back up and lets you drive as long as you don't hit any bumps. I though maybe it was low on gas so I went and bought some more and put it in a new gas can, filled the tank, it idles fine, but if you shake the cart while it idles, the motor dies. I didn't have a chance to run around the lot again as it was raining. Did I get stuck with a bad cart? Is this normal? It is really frustrating that we spent $2100+ on this and we haven't been able to ride it but for 4 hours, any ideas.

Chris

Old 11-03-2004, 01:27 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might try cleaning the carb. Maybe something jamming the float?

Check for loose grounds too.

Old 11-03-2004, 04:11 PM
Range Rover

I second that,

I've had the twister 150 (nearly identical to yours right down to the engine, except mine is 150cc) and have driven the tar out of it. So far no engine problems except it smokes on start up. They are super easy to work on so I would definetly try cleaning the carb first, and check the ground. I don't let mine idle much.

See my pictures for a picture of mine.

you may have already seen them but if not check out the posts on the twister hammerhead. they have a lot of reviews on this type of buggy.

good luck!

Old 11-03-2004, 05:21 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the reply's I will check the carb and ground this evening, Kell, it is good to hear that you haven't had too many problems with yours, and yours does look exactly like mine right down the the blue metal flake, I will keep you posted.

Old 11-04-2004, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

Definately has to be ground or ignition related. Something is loose... Check all electrical, including spark plug wires, etc.

And when you figure it out, let us know! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Range Rover

Check out this guys website on yerfdogs, it is the same basic engine.

http://www.key-ideas.com/Yerf-Dog-3206-3209.htm

look at the part about troubleshooting, it talks about his problems with loose connection and clogged fuel filters.

really nice informative website.

Old 11-05-2004, 10:54 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Kell, Thank's for the Yerf Dog link. That engine look's extremely similar to the engine in my wifes yamoto 150. I am definitely going to put a better filter on the torque converter cover. That is a great idea, thank's again.

Old 11-05-2004, 11:10 AM
Trailblazer

Kell

Thanks for the link, that is very interesting, and it describes the problem I am having to a tee. I looked at all the electrical connectors last night, and all are tight, I was going to tear into the carb, but I have to leave town for a few days for business, so since it is under warranty, I dropped it off at a Carter dealer closer to my house than the one I bought it from. They said that they will look at it Monday or Tuesday, but they also said they have had two others with carb problems come in. Hopefully they can fix it because the place I bought it from doesn't seem to know how, or they just don't care. I will let you guys know what they find.

Chris

Old 11-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Trailblazer

Well, I got a call as I was leaving my office for lunch, the shop had already looked at and fixed my Carter. He also works on lawnmowers at his shop and said that mine looked like more fun, so he bumped it to the front of the line so he could ride it. He said that there was still sour gas in the tank. Which I told him was wierd because it came from a brand new can and I had just bought, when he asked me where I bought it at, I told him RaceTrac and he told me to never put that type of gas in my machine, he says it is fine for my truck and car, but it is alchohol based and that I need to use gas from a major vendor such as Exxon, or Shell. But he also stated that the guys that assembled the cart assembeled almost every thing wrong, the back tires were mounted backwards, the front tire was mounted backwards, the shocks were not on the cart right, etc..... He fixed all of that, and adjusted the idle, and fuel/air mixture, I rode it around a field next to his shop and man this thing is much better than it was, no sputtering, super fast, I guess I will dog the hell out of it this weekend and see how it goes, I will keep you guys posted.

Old 11-08-2004, 12:22 PM
Range Rover

Is this special gas or something, I thought most gas anymore of higher octane contained alcohol? I know I've run some of the 89 and 93 through the twister, just whatever is in the gas can at the time.

anyway, good to here you are back up and having fun

Where I bought mine I talked to the salespeople and they were going on about how great these carts were and how they couldn't wait to put gas in it and had been out "testing" them by doing powerslides and such in the parking lot. Well, I made sure I bought the one that hadn't been started or serviced yet!

Quick Reply: Carter Talon GX Woes