Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

lt80 tuning / reliability

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 08:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt80 tuning / reliability

Hi

Can anyone give me any info on what i can do to gain some speed without losing much in the reliability stakes, i dont want to race but just a bit extra when the kids need it, i am in the uk so unable to send it to the man lt80.

i have in my possession at the moment an lt80 with some rattling noises / tick over problems, after removing the barrel i can see that the exhaust port looks unusual in shape, is it normal to have a slight squared off undecut at the top and bottom of the port ? it looks like someone has tried to clean up some damage, should the port just be a standard oval?

Other alternatives easily available here are Ram and Apache 100's, are there much differance in speed and reliability.

Thanks if anyone could assist with any of the above.

Old 11-10-2005, 10:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The Exhaust port should be oval.
I've seen the piston installed backward resulting in the rings making notchs in the ex. port.
The piston arrow should point toward exhaust.
You can gear up on the front sprocket to achieve speed. 1-2-3 teeh bigger is common.

Old 11-10-2005, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks LT80,

I think you have just explained to me what appeared to be a very strange exhaust port shape which i thought was a bodged clean up / tuning attempt, just to confirm then that the arrow on the piston should face to the rear of the bike, this would explain why some people would put it on the wrong way, i also when stripping it saw the arrow pointing forward and thought that to be sensible, but looking at the ring split position i can see now how they could cause this damage.

What differance am i likely to see in performance / engine rattle with the piston fitted the correct way ?

With the change of sprocket size, will this effect acceleration much and how can i accomodate this without having any chain adjustement, if i did go for a mild porting i am right in thinking the stock pipe would still be ok ?

Thanks again LT80 and could you please just confirm the piston arrow popinting backwards

Serafin

Old 11-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi again LT80

I just had another thought, i have problems with having no tickover when the engine is warm unless i put the choke on, the engine when warm also only starts with the choke, is it possible that the back to front piston could cause this ?

Thanks again

Serafin

Old 11-11-2005, 09:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I feel your ticking noise is piston slap from it being wore out. It stopping after warm and choke when warm tells me that.
You may see some performance difference with the new piston cuz it will give proper compression.
Ask Spike99 for my LT80 chain roller pic.
Yes, arrow toward exhaust.
There is no mild port job, but yes the stock pipe will work fine. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]