Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

1990 SUZUKI LT80 Problem - Please HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 11:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 SUZUKI LT80 Problem - Please HELP!

Went to Glamis this week. Prior to going, the LT80 got a new air filter. And new spark plug. It ran great at home and for about 2 hours at Glamis. Then it just stopped.

This bike does not have a working oil injection so it has for many many years been running off gas with the oil mixed in it. Ive been using CASTOR OIL.

After tinkering with it, I then decided it might be the top end. After all, its bullet proof but 16 years old. It was acting like my Banshee did years ago when its top end went bad. So I took it to the nearest Suzuki dealer outside of Glamis and they rebuilt the top end. Brought it back to Glamis and it ran for an hour.

The bike now has a new top end.

Its getting fuel.

Its getting spark.

The carburetor has been cleaned and blown out several times.

Battery is charged. Has a pull starter on it as well.

Prior to this it has ALWAYS ran fine. Not so sure the top end was even the problem!

Any ideas??

Old 11-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Trailblazer

Have you tried checking the compression.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the ATV Connection forums. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I agree that it would be nice to know the compression.
Did they put a zuki piston in or weisco?
Did they check for a broke reed?
Spark plug cap bad? (they are loose and can pop off/loose contact)
You removed both the jets when the carb was cleaned?
Yes it has spark but posibly a coil/stator problem (it is 16 years old) LOL
Hmmmmmmmmm....Pipe plugged and won't allow the motor to breath?? (I'm leaning toward this as being the problem).
Please let up know of the progress. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Where ya ride/camp at glamis?
Ogilby,the washes,Gecko?
I need another trip out! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-05-2006, 03:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay... FYI... Im the wife... the hubby is relaying info to me. He said the compression is good. Especially since the top end was rebuilt. Its a Suzuki piston. The carb has been gone through. The jets and such. All checks out there. My nephew is a mechanic. They both said thumbs up on the carb.

He checked for a broke reed as well.

But his eyebrow did rise up some when you mentioned a clogged pipe. And of course I was at Glamis asking him is the packing in the pipe okay. Those know it alls working on it refused to listen to me! I will so laugh if its the pipe. Reminds me of the time he started taking my new bike apart because he thought for sure there was a problem. I asked if there was gas. He looked at me like I thought he was an idiot! Well guess what... a little gas makes a bike run. GO FIGURE!! LOL.

I will let you know what he finds on the pipe inspection.

We camped in the flats (something we havent done in 10+ years. We were up against some really nice little dunes for the kiddies to ride on. Normally we camp on the curve to the right of Roadrunner. But since we went from Mon-Fri, we chose the flats this time. It was great till thursdayish.

OH AND BY THE WAY... SO MANY FLIPPEN JERKS LEFT SO MUCH TRASH FROM THE WEEKEND BEFORE. IT WAS DISGUSTING. THEY LEFT TRASH PILED UP EVERYWHERE. I ALMOST FELT LIKE CRYING. BROKEN CHAIRS, MATTRESSES, BROKEN ICE CHESTS, BROKEN BBQS, BROKEN SHADE AWNINGS, BROKEN TENTS, GAS CANS AND JUST MOUNDS AND MOUNDS OF BAGGED AND UNBAGGED TRASH JUST LEFT. I dont get it! Why are these people too retarded to get it. Seriously... it was truly sad to pull in Monday and see all that junk left behind. I told myself it couldnt be people like us. Ya know, the family type. Its my belief its those young beer drinking jerks that think Glamis owes them something. I would hate to the think anyone with children would behave so badly. Grrrrrrrrr. Okay... I should save this for another post!

Take Care.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

The trash thing is ever sooooo stupid! These same litter bugs will be the first to wonder why the dunes will be shut down.
Ya pack it in, ya pack it out!

I've seen pipes plugged before, this may be a good funny for you! LOL

Old 11-09-2006, 01:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

LT80 - Your probably not the right person to ask this to (you may be partial!), but what do you think of the RAPTOR 80 vs the Suz 90?

My father in law is chompin at the bit to buy our son the new Raptor 80. And save the LT80 for our 4 year old to learn on.

Looking for the most power and durability. We have had Yamahas for a long time. And we have seen how the LT80 has been bullet proof for a long while as well. Both good. Just wondering what to do should Santa deliver the goods...

Old 11-10-2006, 10:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

I'm not partial.
BUT,, IMO I wouldn't buy a new Yam80 or the new Zuki Z-90. With the vast array of mini's out there now, the 2 mentioned are low on the list.
When getting a new machine, one looks at what you will be doing with it and we know you will be in the sand. I feel the 4 strokes will not be the best in sand. You know just how much HP the sand sucks up.
I would look far and wide for a LT80/Kasea/Eton/Dinli with 2 STROKE motors.
So what's up w/your LT80?
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-10-2006, 03:10 PM
Trailblazer

Howdy, as a owner of a older lt80 who just had top end rebuilt, the shop that did the job gave me the warning prior to having it done that with the engine back up to original compression, that there could be a chance of blowing the bottom end with the high pressure that the engine hasn t seen for a while. May want to check that compression again. Hope it is somthing else though.

Old 12-17-2006, 03:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

UPDATE !!!

TODAY HE FINALLY TOOK THE BIKE APART... Silencer packing was a bit icky, but it appears that a bolt fell off the head gasket thingy. So air was getting through. A blown head gasket. Although the gasket was warped, he tightened it back down and it started immediately. So he got a new gasket for it. It was all due to putting it back together AFTER the top end was rebuilt. It was rebuilt, but installed by non professionals!

So... that appears to be the problem. Just thought you might want to know. Now you all will be that much better at troubleshooting for the next poor sap that comes along asking these same questions!

Have a Wonderful Christmas All.