Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

chinese quads are junk!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 07:57 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default chinese quads are junk!

Carlw is right in many respects - especially regarding the fact that you need some mechanical prowess in order to enjoy having one of these bikes.

That being said, a little trip down memory lane will also tell you that this was true of the japanese bikes too. Between me, my brother and my neighbor, at various times we had the following bikes from grade school thru high school: a '71 or '72 honda atc 90, mid '70s honda Z50, late '70s yamaha gt80, a mid/late '70s honda xr75, early/mid '70's honda trail 70, a early 80s honda atc 185, an atc 250R, a last year run honda atc 185S (the one with the high gearing and high top speed that preceeded the 200S but was faster) and an 86 Suzuki 230 Quad Sport. The atc 90, trail 70 (neighbors), GT80 and the 185S were all bought new. The others were relatively new when purchased. As I recall, following a short honeymoon after purchase, we were always having to tinker with these bikes to keep them running.

The ones I recall the best as they were solely mine are the Z50 and the 185S. The 50 seemed to always have something wrong with it from points to stripping of the kick starter to being a real PITA to crank. The 185S was $1200 new. The engine never gave me a moments trouble but the plastics were easily cracked and the frame was problematic. The chain alignment didn't last long. We had to fabricate a more substantial chain tensioner. I had to replace bearings in the rear a couple of times. The pull rope regularly broke. Eventually the metal of the block where the pull start housing mounted fatigued and broke such that we had to crank it by wrapping a curtain cord around the starter engagement thing on the end of the crank to spin it over.

I guess the major differences that I see between the name brand bikes of the '70s and early '80s is that there were plenty of local shops catering to hondas etc back then as now. But, I dont think that quality was any better.

Of course quality got better. The timberwolf was bought new in 92 or 93 and it still runs like a top. The rancher bought used now has about 1200 miles on it and seems relatively bullet proof.

Rodney

Old 01-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[i]Here is a shocker.... even the major brands break parts..... the benefit is that you are rarely more than a few days from getting the part you need, and it is easier to find a mechanic to work on it.
You mean like how I'm currently waiting 2 weeks for an air filter and back-up light from my Suzuki dealer for my KQ 700? First, my dealer said a week. Called a few days ago to be told another week or two. I guess it's still on the boat.

Conversely, I was able to get the OEM starter solenoid for my son's Kasea in less than a week, via UPS no less.

Dude, I see where yer trying to go with this, but even the major brands can have HORRIBLE wait times for many parts. You ought to see how bad it is ordering Suzuki 4x4 truck parts from the dealer. Had to wait 3 weeks for a Samurai 1.3L head gasket and valve cover gasket.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:15 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

you guys dont even want to know how long it takes to get KTM parts. Last time i had my engine apart it took 9 weeks and 3 different KTM Dealers. One of them was in Texas.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I recently purchased two fushin 110's for my children, and the only problem I have had was due to the person I purchased them from not assembling one of them correctly. I should have inspected better before letting the children ride them. Other than that they have been riding the **** out of them since they got them and we all love em. Parts seem readily available and inexpensive via the internet if the need should arise. As with anything I'm sure it will. I also was raised on Honda and Kawasaki. I've always thought it absurd to go down and spend over $2000 on a quad that a child is gonna outgrow in a couple of years anyway. Or go and spend half that on a used one that is gonna require constant attention to keep running. With the minimal investment I have in these things I can throw them away in a couple of years and they will have more than paid for themselves. I hope that the companies that manufacture these things will get into making more serious quads for adults, I am looking around at what they have to offer now, if I find one that I like I would most definently buy it, and for a fraction of the $6000 Arctic Cat I have been looking at.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi! I bought a Giovanni 50cc 2007 from ebay and it work perfectcly . I dont think that the chinese quad are junk. I have a Honda Foreman 400cc and my little gio start faster. I use rarely the choke even if it's cold outside. I paid it 500$ CAD. I never had problem with it and I bought it 4 months ago. Chinese quad have bad reputation but I think that it will change. Enjoy riding your atv![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally posted by: mywifesquad
you guys dont even want to know how long it takes to get KTM parts. Last time i had my engine apart it took 9 weeks and 3 different KTM Dealers. One of them was in Texas.
And you didn't call me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Next time let me know. The KTM dealer here rides a KTM. You know he keeps parts in stock. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Mimonatv
...I paid it 500$ CAD...
So what's that? $69.75 USD? lol

Old 01-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Range Rover

I wish we could get past this "Chinese quads" label. Find out what the manufacture is before you start bashing or praising our quad. Just because the plastic looks the same. The quality of welds, and other components aren't necessarily same. We don't see "Japanese quads" are junk threads, because someone has a problem with a Honda.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

Chopper400ex,
Don't bite on it, that is the worse thing you can do....eventually it will leave the front page. I can write one just for the attention and watch anger fly....maybe I'll do that on the Jap sections[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] SEADAWG

Old 01-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Trailblazer

Look at the other brands and see how many post there are. Not all of them are good

Quick Reply: chinese quads are junk!