Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

chinese quads are junk!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 09:39 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Default chinese quads are junk!

Im going start a "Old Guys Bench Racing" thread. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I prefered Blenzall Bean oil in the morning. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] The Hondas were very nice, but I dont think anything handled like a Maico until the late 70's. And maybe until '80. The '80 Maico 490 engine, air cooled, no reed valve let alone a power valve is still considered one of the sweetest open class powerplants ever made.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yeah, they had some grunt alright. Frightening fast when the bike came up on pipe. I found my 250 Elsinore to have much lighter steering and the fork action curve was more balanced. Almost a circle. My Maico was very good, but it had a couple quirks in certain conditions that makes me think it was not as good as the Honda. Whoops and loose tight corners, the thing would wash out and bounce around a lot. The Honda would dance the whoops, while the Maico would hit them harder and just work it a lot more. You really had to hold on, and I'd get quite a lot of arm pump with the Maico that I didn't get with the Honda. My lap times really improved when I made the switch. I went from middle of the pack to running up front almost over night. I was constantly rebuilding the Maico's forks and shocks to keep it in top condition too, compared to the Honda that saw me rebuild the forks once after I blew a seal. It was pretty reliable and consistant.

Don't get me wrong, I consider my Maico to be the best bike ever built... but the Honda fit my riding style a whole lot better. That kick in the pants when that big bore came on pipe was legendary, and you could grunt your way out of a corner without downshifting. The Elsinore had a decent kick too, but nothing like the M.... The Honda was more of an on or off throttle kind of bike. Much narrower power band. rrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaa rrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Old 01-19-2007, 08:45 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

I know this has been mentioned before in another thread, but....

Remember when you weren't riding your bike, you were tinkering with it? Even if it didn't really need it?

And it didn't matter who had what, someone was always doing something to their bike.

Now you go out and tinker on a quad and first thing everyone will ask is what's wrong with it.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

luckily, I have reached that golden age where I leave the tinkering to others. These things are generally so relaible these days that I can understand the what's wrong mentality. Man I just gas it and ride it.. and take it to the dealer if it breaks. I don't have the time to get deeply involved. Besides I have to contribute to the American economy right?

There are always going to be people who criticize any thing that is different than what they have in their garage. We all are prone to doing it. It is like saying I made a bad decision and now I want everyone to make it too so I fit in.

I happen to like Hondas and Yamahas. Someone else likes a Polaris or a er.. gulp.. Suzuki or Kawasaki.. Yuck that tasted bad just saying those names... sorry.. Hey I don't care.. ride what you want, ride what you can afford. Just ride it responsibly. I can't worry about who's name is on the side any more. If you are on a quad, it is probably covered in mud anyway, and once it is covered in mud, nobody cares anyway.

We are all one under the mud...

Old 01-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Well, I'm not too old to tinker, but old enough to forget where I put the %$#@ bolts. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Scootergptx
Well, I'm not too old to tinker, but old enough to forget where I put the %$#@ bolts. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Speaking of being old enough to lose sh*t, has anyone seen the C-clip I took off my kid's quad and laid in the shed somewhere. I've been looking for it all week now.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

I love this thread.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] sends me back in time.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] I was not in the same class as you guy's were I did all the same things you have been talking about except my bike's were the DKW and Penton.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I am sure you guys reamber them. Bike's today are cadilac's compared to back then. I miss those day's.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-19-2007, 10:41 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally posted by: MIDDLEAGEDCRAZY
I love this thread.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] sends me back in time.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] I was not in the same class as you guy's were I did all the same things you have been talking about except my bike's were the DKW and Penton.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I am sure you guys reamber them. Bike's today are cadilac's compared to back then. I miss those day's.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
My first full size dirt bike was a '73 CZ 250! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] I was 15 and it was 2 years old. It had moved up Koni's, a Mikuni carb, a 5 speed, and a coffin tank [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. Riding gear was a CZ jerzey(I still have), Lace up boots, a open face helmet with a duck bill visor and a Jofa mouth guard.I was so STYLING!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I miss the times, but would never give up the ease of riding my KTM.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mywifesquad
Originally posted by: MIDDLEAGEDCRAZY
My first full size dirt bike was a '73 CZ 250! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] I was 15 and it was 2 years old. It had moved up Koni's, a Mikuni carb, a 5 speed, and a coffin tank [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. Riding gear was a CZ jerzey(I still have), Lace up boots, a open face helmet with a duck bill visor and a Jofa mouth guard.I was so STYLING!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I miss the times, but would never give up the ease of riding my KTM.
I ended up in the end with A KW 500. Raced the Barstow to Vegas race. Broke two rib's, My front forks were totaly off the bike.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] The worst part was I laid out there for over two hours before they found me.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] Put me on A streacher and laid me over the back of A Jeep. Most painful ride I ever had.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] They retrived my bike in A pickup. Think I would of rather ridden with my bike.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Even with all that it did not stop me from riding.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 01-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

ahhh then you remember Bultaco and Montessa then too.... You remember those old Honda 125 trials bikes? Man I wanted one of those really bad, but couldn't afford one. They were cool wheelie machines. And yes, I was the wheelie king in my neighborhood. Believe it or not, I had an SL100 that plain spent more time on one wheel than 2. I used to go over to my then girl friend's (Now Mrs DB) house and do a wheelie all the length of her street before pulling into her driveway. In fact I could go around corners and everything. Neighbors were throwing rakes and other stuff at me as I passed by.. Yeah it was cool. Her mom took a lot of grief over that. Any time I speak about motorcycles, her mom brings it up as well...
I put some bolt on pegs at the rear axle and it had such a good balance point you could go for miles. Speed wasn't necessary, and I seldom used anything but second gear... and I could drive all over the place like that. Any time I rode, it was hit the gas and cruise on one wheel. My older son thinks it is cool to do the same at high speed, and it really upsets me too. I can see why people threw things at me now. He is one of those nuts on an R1 that will pass you at over a hundred sitting on his tank with his feet over the bars doing a wheelie. He has the scars from surgery to put him back together after a nasty crash to prove it too. Since his last brush with death, he hasn't been on it for nearly 3 years now. That is OK with me. He busted his shoulder up so bad he can't ride it all hunched over without a lot of pain... Un huh, I told you so son... Hopefully some young dude who acts out might remember all this next time and save themselves a lot of pain and suffering. Just remember, your actions affect more than just you. It is your parents or spouse that has to take time to wipe your butt, feed you, take you to medical appointments etc while you mend. Give us old people a break, we gave you life and raised you, we didn't sign on for a life sentence. We can always make another one just like you.... so don't push your luck.

Quick Reply: chinese quads are junk!