Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Bad Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Clutch?

My wife bought my son and I a 110 chinese atv for Christmas. I couldn't get it started initially, but with the help of other posts was able to figure it out. Problem now is that it won't accelerate when on it, at least not consistently and not at all at a higher speed. It is fully automatic and I'm concerned I may have burnt the clutch trying to keep it running while I made adjustments to run and idle correctly. Anyone else have this problem or any suggestions?

Old 02-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Bad Clutch?

Just to be clear, in case I wasn't, I had the parking brake on while I made adjustments to the carb to get it running. It took a while to get it adjusted to idle without cutting out on me so I had to use the throttle in the process to keep it going. Never dealt with these fully automatic things and had no manual so didn't think much of it with the brake on. That in mind, is it safe to say I burnt the clutch or are there adjustments/things to check first?

Thanks for any help.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default Bad Clutch?

what make and model. to give us an idea

Old 02-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Trailblazer
Default Bad Clutch?

You should have had lot's of smoke from the clutch if you burned it out.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:06 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Bad Clutch?

So is your clutch adjustable? Here is a link to a service manual for a 110cc quad with an adjustable clutch:

110cc Manual

Click on the above link, then look for the following text near the middle of the page:

Specs & Features :: Warranty:: Safety Information :: Manuals

Click on manuals, download the service manual and look on page 36.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Bad Clutch?

I'll respond to each of the above replies...

I know very little as far as specific make and model. My wife bought it from an online dealer. It is a fully automatic 110cc sport model (not a utility), and I am told was produced by Luyuan Manufacturing. That's really all I know. No manual or instructions were included and I've had no luck getting info from the dealer or the manufacturer. It's been a really frustrating process - which I am now understanding is not that uncommon with these.

I did notice some smoke coming from the engine the last time I had it going to finish carb adjustments - also saw some smoke come from the exhaust during that time. When I took it out to ride after final adjustments and letting it idle smoothly for 20 minutes or so, I didn't notice smoke any more - just that it didn't respond to the throttle well. The engine would rev but had a hard time getting it to respond much - had one pretty good acceleration, then went back and forth between slow response and no response. It will will move forward more freely when I'm not on it.

How can I check to see if it has an adjustable clutch? The model in the manual you mentioned does look similar to mine.

Thanks!

Old 02-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Bad Clutch?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: cbolton1973
...How can I check to see if it has an adjustable clutch? The model in the manual you mentioned does look similar to mine...</end quote></div>

If yours has that adjuster screw shown in the service manual, it is adjustable.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Bad Clutch?

Yes, mine looks identical to what's shown in the manual. Thanks for the link! I downloaded it and will adjust accordingly to see what kind of response I can get. If I am unable to correct the problem and ultimately find that I need to fix/replace this type of clutch, is it a difficult to do?

Old 02-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Bad Clutch?

"My wife bought it from an online dealer"
That's what happens when ya let em out of the kitchen!.....j/k
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Bad Clutch?

Yes...I haven't been able to bring myself to say anything much to the wife. Her heart was in the right place :-)

On a positive note...I did play with the clutch a bit and was able to resolve the problem there seemed to be on the clutch side of things. Unfortunately, I was still left with one more problem to overcome, but its one that I'm thinking probably can be overcome with a little more help with everyone here. I'll address that under a new topic.

Thanks for the help everyone! It's great to have a resource like this to work through these problems without throwing away hundreds or thousands to someone else to do it.