Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Baja 50 Starts then Stalls

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja 50 Starts then Stalls

Hi there, I purchased Baja50(pep boys) from someone for kids, appears she kept in great condition, she had tune up done. When I try to start, it stalls. I have put new battery, changed gas, used carb cleaner. Gas is flowing however spark plug not getting wet. Checked lines for clogs seems to not be problem. Any suggestions please

Old 08-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

put a new spark plug in, wants to start so it must be a carb issue. My husband cleaned the carb so im kind of stumped here.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

did he remove the jets and clean them. all orifices? did he remove and clean the float assembly and clean it? that's what is sounds like to me. remove, clean, reinstall.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

did he remove the jets and clean them. all orifices? did he remove and clean the float assembly and clean it? that's what is sounds like to me. remove, clean, reinstall.

Cleaned with carb cleaner, just didnt remove and clean the float assembly. He ordered a new carb same fired up 1X, now seems that it wants to start (its firing) just will not.
We will clean old carb and hope it fits on our go cart as it is having the same issue.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:19 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by stppnstns

Cleaned with carb cleaner, just didnt remove and clean the float assembly. He ordered a new carb same fired up 1X, now seems that it wants to start (its firing) just will not.
We will clean old carb and hope it fits on our go cart as it is having the same issue.
Welcome to the forum stppnstn1

If he didnt remove the float assy.. he more than likely didnt remove the jets(and the main jet holder) and he certainly didnt remove the fuel screw...

If you dont remove ALL of these items and spray carb cleaner thru them all... (the holes in the jets and the holes in the side of the main jet holder and pilot jet) and then make sure you can see light thru them..

It will never work right.. dirt gets in the pilot jet and its circuit(path thru the carb).. if the pilot jet and the fuel screw arent removed.. dirt/crud will be in the circuit somewhere..

Old 08-18-2011, 06:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Great will do all of that you have suggested when we begin the go kart.
As for the new Carb, we just put on today, it fired one time hope to find that solution.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Oops sorry, guess I did not read correctly. The crud can be system somewhere not meaning the carb itself.
Thank you suppose we will keep trying to clean it and hope it starts or we got took

Old 08-18-2011, 06:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

so you get good flow out of the fuel hose at the carb? if so, your float may not be letting fuel in adequately unless your float drain screw has been checked to show fuel. hmmm.....
i presume your battery is charged enough to crank the engine adequately? i presume you've also checked the choke operation? does it have a choke or is it the starter valve for the fuel?

Old 08-25-2011, 09:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Got it figured out - Apparently the original owners over filled the oil. Need new Piston Rings. Removed Motor to have shop repair, if it was a 2 stroke hubby can pop open but does not want to chance breaking chain with 4 stroke. Thank you all for your suggestions and advise. Once running will work on the carb issue with go Kart.
Kind Regards, Ms. Bobbie