Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

50CC Buyang BMX Quad Runs But Bogs Down with Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2020 | 10:34 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 50CC Buyang BMX Quad Runs But Bogs Down with Throttle

Hey Gang,

I actually have two issues with this little 50CC quad:
  1. Engine starts and idles just fine, but bogs (and often stalls) when given any amount of throttle. So far, I've drained and flushed the gas tank and installed a new carb/air filter and spark plug. Starts like a charm, just bogs down with throttle being applied. I removed and re-built the carb, but the issue persists. Any thoughts?
  2. Gas tank leaks at the On/Off valve. The On/Off valve threads into a nut that's captured in the bottom of the gas tank. Unfortunately that nut now spins inside the tank when I attempt to torque down the valve. Is there any way to repair this without purchasing a new tank?
Thanks!

Bob

Old 07-22-2020 | 12:54 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Here's a picture showing the parts described in #2 above. The retaining nut inside the gas tank does hold up to about hand tight before starting to spin. One friend mentioned that I should try drilling our a couple areas around it and filling with JB Weld. Thoughts?

Old 07-23-2020 | 02:34 AM
Elite Pro Rider

You can try all sorts of things, epoxy resin, melting the plastic round the captive nut with a hot iron, etc. However I would be finding out if a tank is available, as I doubt if you will cure that problem with a "bodge." On your running problem, check valve clearance and timing. If they are OK I would try another coil and CDI. I'm not fond of substitution as a fault finding method, but sometimes it is all that is left, and ignition parts for those little Honda clones are cheap.