Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 speed control (trying to slow it down)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 10:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 speed control (trying to slow it down)

Hoping to find some help. I have a 87 LT80 I bought for my daughter. Rebuilt motor so who know whats in it for parts. Carb restrictor and exhaust restrictor are prob out. Long story short, im trying to slow it down for my 4 yr old daughter. She isnt strong enough to engage the brakes fully yet. I turn the thumb screw in till it barely grabs the belt but the thing still does 12 to 15 mph. Best guess. Id like to be able to chase after her if she is heading somewhere she shouldn't be. Of course this little 1 or 2 month step is key since they learn so fast. Iv'e looked into gearing but ive found a torque setup and a top speed setup. Not really what im looking for. Im not sure if it still has the 6 clutch rollers or if some are taken out causing more throttle to have to be applied to make it roll. The thing scoots and runs great. Hauls my 275 pound butt with my 40 lb daughter around the yard at least 20 mph. It defiantly will beat my 220 Kawasaki bayou i grew up with. Any help or pointers would be appreciated. Odds are, ill have to pull the clutch but im trying to keep from that. Im hoping to catch LT80's eye in this thread. I've seen him on here alot and respect his knowledge but of course any and all comments are welcome.

Old 09-05-2021, 10:10 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

helmet, gloves, chest./spine protector and just let her ride it she will learn what to do or not to do... My daughter started at about 2 1/2 year riding and all i did was heat and bend the break lever so it was easier for her to use. I ended up breaking the lever but its just alum and easy to weld back up where you need it... I pulled it about a inch close to the bar and it made a huge difference for my little one.... Jump on your machine and ride beside her worst case you put your machine in front of her to stop her. Mine only had 2 accidents in 8 years of riding and one was self induced the other she just ran into the side of the house and that's when i adjusted the brake lever...

Old 09-10-2021, 08:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Try removing 2 rollers.
Why worry about the front brakes. Can she not use the foot brake?