Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Quadbashing on thumpertalk.com

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004 | 04:33 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Default Quadbashing on thumpertalk.com

I'll have to give you a shout if I ever end up going back up to Tracy. We're almost done with the job up there, so it's hard to say.

I haven't been to Carnegie yet, but I do hear that the terrain isn't as quad friendly as Hollister is. I ride with a group that rides there a lot as they are from the Dublin, Tracy, Manteca, etc. area.

I would think the MC to Quad ration is higher at Hollister though. I just don't see as many quads up there. Which is nice, less that you have to share the ATV track with. That thing is awesome. Heck, the whole park is awesome.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 12-22-2004 | 08:22 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
I'll have to give you a shout if I ever end up going back up to Tracy. We're almost done with the job up there, so it's hard to say.

I haven't been to Carnegie yet, but I do hear that the terrain isn't as quad friendly as Hollister is. I ride with a group that rides there a lot as they are from the Dublin, Tracy, Manteca, etc. area.

I would think the MC to Quad ration is higher at Hollister though. I just don't see as many quads up there. Which is nice, less that you have to share the ATV track with. That thing is awesome. Heck, the whole park is awesome.
Yes I would agree that Carnegie is not especially quad friendly compared to hollister. And it has lots more single track trails than hollister. That is the reason why I ride there most of the time that and it is 45 mins from the house where hollister is 1hr+. It is a highly technical riding area, lots of steep up and down hill's, canyon trail's, etc.... BlackandRedWarrior.... Where in Ca. would you say has the highest concentration of quad's? ( what riding area?)
Just curious on your take on this.

Old 12-22-2004 | 12:46 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Hands down is Oceano Dunes (Pismo). I would say it's probably 90% quads, 9% MCs & 1% other (rails, buggies, etc.) That's a seat of the pants guestatistic. I'm sure the park has a better number.

I have one friend who hates it on his MC. Says that it's a PITA. Hard to get moving and stay up.

Another guy I know loves it. Likes the challenge I guess.

Another guy goes because his wife likes it and her best friend is a Sand Hoochie. Says that it's definately a work out. (Note: he was a trooper and rode his step daughter's 250ex at Hollister for several hours. He now understands why they complain of being tires after riding. He normally rides a 400cc 4stroke MC...Suzuki something (equal to like a Yamaha WR, I think, has elec. start). His other ride has a radar gun and flashing lights so he's not a newbie at riding.)

Of course, to each their own.

I do like the challenge of technical trails, but have a fear of heights. Yeah, I know, sounds weird. But I always wanted a quad, met some friends who are into it and took the plunge. Right before I bought my bike I had a friend who broke her back (second time she's done that) down at "Hart Park" (since closed) in Bakersfield. So I really have a fear of climbing. I don't like hill climbs. I find them about as boring as Pismo. I just have this fear of hooking up and being thrown back. But I've gotten to the point I'll darn near go down anything. I find Pismo to be increadibly boring unless just flat out opening it up (which on the Warrior still isn't all that fast...I get about 45MPH on the GPS, stock gearing and 20" Sand Sharks [2" shorter than stock nobbies].) Plus just getting to to the camping/riding area is a PITA. Get on the beach, air down, go find your buddies and hope you can make it through the sand without getting stuck.

I mainly ride Miami (it's an hour for me, and the closest no hassle, legal riding area) and the ratio is in the MC's favor. But any given day is a toss up. I've been up there and it's only been my group (mainly quads). When it gets busy it can be decidely MC, with up to about 80%. But when a busy day is about 30 people, it's not too hard to have things change constantly. Other places in the Forest (on the roads and what not) is pretty much only quads. I've seen a few MCs on one occasion going up to Little Shuteye (8,000' USFS lookout tower). Though I usually see a couple of Subura wagons up there....

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 12-27-2004 | 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

couldent help noticing Red_Rider04 's icon on thumper talk [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. but their bashing us cause we dont wear full gear? gimmi a break!