two ATV's- One trailer

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-1999, 02:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any good ideas for loading two ATV's on one trailer with both bikes facing sideways. The fenders of this particular trailer won't accomodate ramping from the side. I currently have to load bike#1 as normal, then muscle the rear of the bike around to get it sideways in the front of the trailer. Bike#2 is a real problem, because the rear wheels are still on the ramp when I have to start muscling it around to the side...anyone got a better way?

Old 12-16-1999, 03:01 PM
Range Rover

I have the same situation with my 5x10 trailer just a tad too short too accomodate 2 atvs front to back. I have to load one side ways with a lot of muscle and place both fron tire on 2x8x5L planks that extend from the rear tires to the front tires. Then I ratchet the front end down, then back. Seems to work until I get my first hernia.

I have thought of welding a pair of independant sliding bed rails, attached to the trailer and spaced apart the width of the rear tires of the last loaded atv, where the rails can lock in place with or without a 2nd atv.

Please let me know if you find a solution.

Old 12-16-1999, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 5x10 trailer that I load 2 quads on. Mine has removable rails though. I load the back quad lengthwise, then load the front quad on sideways. It is a tight fit getting the front quad on. Ramps tend to hit the fenders of the trailer. With a couple of concrete blocks, and 4lowlock it fits just fine.

Brian

P.S. I've noticed with my trailer it rides better with the heavier quad sideways in front. Other configurations have caused extreme high blood pressure!

[This message has been edited by dusty (edited 12-16-1999).]

Old 12-16-1999, 07:30 PM
Range Rover

personally, I have to load our trailer from the side using long 2x10's from the high side of the yard due to the 16 inch side rails. Getting them off still requires a little muscle but not near what you've described. Use some enginuity from higher ground.

As another option, I saw some guys loading up front to rear with a homemade ramp made of plywood and 2x4's which stuck out the back of the trailer to support the rear tires of the second quad. The weight of the quad held it in place (plus the straps) and they claimed no fatalities so far...therefore, no side loading and no back aches.

------------------
Steve Small,'00 400ex
'00 325 Trail Boss for the wife.
Impuls90 for the boys.
<a href="mailto:scsmall@bellatlantic.net">EXtreme E-mail</a>

Old 12-16-1999, 08:47 PM
Range Rover

I have a 6.5'x12' trailer that has a beavertail ramp in the back. In order to haul more than one ATV I have to turn them sideways as you described. My trailer has 12" side rails and it was pretty tough lifting the machines over the rail. I took the trailer to the local Highschool welding program where I had them cut out the siderail on the right side of the trailer in front of the fender. They then welded a ramp that is similar in construction to the rear ramp which is made from angle iron and expanded metal. They then welded and hinged this ramp in place of the cutout siderail. Now I just pull two pins, fold down the ramp and drive on sideways. I think that you can drive on at enough of an angle this way on your particular trailer to save yourself some lifting. P.S. the total cost of the side ramp project was $30.00 for the cost of materials. GOOD LUCK .

Old 12-16-1999, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

If you are pulling with a truck and have access to a set of ramps you can do what I do...
We have three 4-wheelers and a 6x10 trailer so first I drop the gate on the trailer and on my truck and place the folding aluminum ramps up at the front of the trailer and drive the Magnum 500 up over the ramps and into the pickup... then I re-use the ramps to load the Scrambler in from the side of the trailer (I cut the rail between the corner and the wheelwell of the trailer and welded a hinge in place..)
After that, we load my brothers Yamaha from the rear of the trailer...
We've had up to three quads, a 3-wheeler, and a dirtbike loaded up at once...

Old 12-17-1999, 09:17 AM
Pro Rider

Dusty,
Your trailer pulls better with the heavy quad in front because it's a better tongue weight. If you get the weight to the rear with tail sway you WILL get high blood pressure!
c-ya,

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer, both with RCR mods.

Old 12-18-1999, 11:16 AM
Range Rover

It seems as if im in the right post for this question.I carry two quads, Should i trailer the heavy quad or the lighter one?

Old 12-18-1999, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

King I would sugest trailering the heavy quad.Centering the rear quad wheels directly over the trailer wheels.Putting more weight on the tounge, As explained by Andy.And also giving more, "Backing up" control and making your rig all around more stable at higher speeds.

As for me, I use a 10 x 7 snowmobile trailer.And use ten foot 2x12 with Ramp/Arts-(Alluminum brakets that mount on the end of the 12's that have a rubber pad on the bottom to keep ramp from kicking out)Got them at Home Depot for 24$

Then I load from the side Putting the "optional" heavy quad up front, Then move the ramps and load the EX from the side on to the back of the trailer.

The trailer has four eye hooks down the left and right Farmost outside.And the quads are cam straped in an x-pattern.

Note---
x-pattern straping gives the most protection from movement in the case of an accident.(God I can't spell today)Always put the stronger straps from the top right quad to bottom left trailer.That will make sure the quad will stay put in the event of a full rig brake lock up.

Another little tip-------
Instead of just putting the hook of the cam strap on your grab bar/Then to hard point.

Loop the cam strap over the grab bar(hold with left hand)then(with right hand)Wrap strapping around hook twice.Hold tawnt till you straighten the rest of the strap and mount to (Not past a strap cutting edge) hard point.With this trick your straps will stay tighter longer."And your Quads paint will thank you.

[This message has been edited by trx430ex (edited 12-18-1999).]