Pre-oiling a machine that hasn't been started in a year

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 02:21 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre-oiling a machine that hasn't been started in a year

Have an '11 Griz 700 that hasn't been started in a year due to a dead batt. I'm about to put a new one in and crank her up.

Should I do anything to the engine to prep it for running after sitting for so long? I'm thinking in terms of pre-oiling parts that the oil would have long fallen away from. Would it be a stupid idea to use a turkey baster and put some engine oil into the spark plug hole? Crank it a couple times, replace the plug and then try to start it?

I'm afraid of rubbing metal parts together during the start before the oil pump gets everything lubed.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:55 AM
Trailblazer

anyone?

Also, does the cylinder sit vertical to the ground, or at an angle? I'd like to put in just enough lube to cover the top of the piston head.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:50 AM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would fogging oil help?

Old 11-10-2018, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

As long as the engine is full of oil, there should not be a problem. The time for fogging oil was when it was put away. However if you want to you can squirt some in before turning it over. Many enginws set for ling periods of time, the biggest issue normally is bad fuel from sitting so long. Make aure all the old fuel is removed and fresh is used when starting.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:10 PM
THE BERMINATOR

All the oil would have drained away from the cylinder wall. Fogging oil should coat it. I still don't have a better idea.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:14 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the fogging oil suggestion. I looked it up and found some info that it's not intended for 'direct injection' engines. Although I'm glad to know what it is now.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...oil-fogged-up/

Old 11-15-2018, 01:40 AM
THE BERMINATOR

Does your Grizzly inject fuel directly into the cylinder? I thought the fuel was injected into the throttle body, but I'm not an engine guy and never payed any attention when I looked at a Grizzly 700.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by bradleyheathhays
Have an '11 Griz 700 that hasn't been started in a year due to a dead batt. I'm about to put a new one in and crank her up.

Should I do anything to the engine to prep it for running after sitting for so long? I'm thinking in terms of pre-oiling parts that the oil would have long fallen away from. Would it be a stupid idea to use a turkey baster and put some engine oil into the spark plug hole? Crank it a couple times, replace the plug and then try to start it?

I'm afraid of rubbing metal parts together during the start before the oil pump gets everything lubed.
i would only recommend changing the oil, and letting the engine idle for a while and thats it

Old 12-12-2018, 03:40 AM
Trailblazer

Big Frank thanks for bringing this to my attention. I made a mistake and read direct injection and thought fuel injection. Honestly I'm not that familiar with 4 wheelers in general and don't know exactly how my injection is set up. Glad to have been mistaken here because it sounds like fogging oil would be a good option for my particular situation.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:32 AM
THE BERMINATOR

I'm not sure there would be any oil left on the cylinder wall after a year, and even if there is, adding a light coating of oil can't hurt anything AFAIK. Gold Eagle's website says as one of the steps in fogging an engine to spray STA-BIL fogging oil into each cylinder via included extension tube for three seconds. It's an aerosol and should cover everything. The way I see it you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by trying it. They say oils and lubricants drain away from cylinder walls, piston rings, and other critical engine components by gravity. As the ambient temperature and humidity fluctuate, air vapor can condensate within the engine. Corrosion begins in as little as 30 days. Once winter passes and the lawn grows, the mountains call or the road beckons; the neglected engine may be susceptible to cylinder scuffing or stuck piston rings.

https://www.goldeagle.com/tips-tools...-fogging-oils/