Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

trimming the front fenders?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2000, 11:01 AM
BLH
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats the purpose? It looks good, but does it realy make that big a differance? How about mud? how mush dirtier do you get? I think the shaved look, looks great, I'm just having trouble cutting into $150 plastic. Thanks

Bruce L. Hall

Old 03-25-2000, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

I think that most people buy the plastic that way. Its called race plastic as opposed to standard or stock profile. I think that its made to look/be more aerodynamic and cut down on weight for TT, Short Track, or MX racing where you wont get that dirty anyway. I just ordered some for my 300EX but plan to change back to stock plastic for normal riding in the woods and stuff.

Old 03-25-2000, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider

The reason for trimming the fenders is so they don't catch so much air while jumping. Those wide fronts will catch air and shoot the front end skyward(kind of like a parachute). This is not a good thing. They do make the bike more aerodynamic. Since most people that make this mod have extended a-arms which push the tires past the protection of the fenders, there is no mud protection anyway.

Old 03-25-2000, 07:51 PM
Trailblazer

I hit a tree with my 400EX today and broke the plastic. I got out of it with just a sore knee but I was lucky I had a helmet on. Instead of getting new plastic, I was thinking that I'll just trim it like the racers, but I don't how. Can I do it? What do I cut with? Please help.

Old 03-25-2000, 08:21 PM
BLH
Pro Rider

I posted the original meesage, I was wanting to know the benefits. I have read past posts on how to do it. Most recomend using masking tape to tape off what you want to cut. Then you can stand back and see if its even, and the contrast will let you get an idea of how it will look when done. Most I've read use a jigsaw with a metal blade, this cuts fine, don't go to fast. then use fine sand paper to smoth the roughness out. Hope this helps.

Bruce L. Hall

Old 03-25-2000, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

Exactly how to do it. One last step is a heat gun or torch to glaze the cut after sanding. Makes it look perfect. I cut my 400ex fenders about 3" in and then I got new Maier plastic because I wanted a different color. I went ahead and got the race front. I then ordered the regular Maier front and cut those fenders 3" because I like that look better than full cut and I also have a place for my headlights. I noticed that only sand gets to be a problem for the fronts. Mud and rocks don't fly up like you would expect.

Old 03-27-2000, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

I went with the race fenders up front for most of the reasons mentioned above by other posters.
The main reason was that I extended the a-arms on my banshee. This left the tires out past the stock fenders anyway. I seldom use the banshee in the mud, unless it is unavoidable.

It is real bad in the mud with the holeshots up front...I get plastered with spin off from the front tires....But I can live with it.

I'm not sure if removing the fenders decreased drag or not...It's so hard to tell with the changing conditions of most of the tracks/trails.
I would think that a full fendered quad would have a bit more lift at higher speeds.But then again...a quad does weigh upwards near 400 lbs or more...so will lift be that much of a deciding factor?

Old 03-27-2000, 07:27 PM
Range Rover

Everyone is is right, I'd like to add that I prefer cut fenders for the trails also, because you can see whats coming like a tree stump or a rock which allows you to aim your tires or the center of the quad at it instead of having the a-arms slam into it(Yes its muddier, but thats part of it).

Sickman