Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

CV joint help, came apart while doing springs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 07:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV joint help, came apart while doing springs.

Putting some stronger springs on the sp-500 and let the lower arm have too much drop. So it appears that toe cv came apart. When I turn the rear tire the cv boot wants to twist like wringing out a wet towel. Tried to jiggle it back together. Does anyone have any suggestions??? Maybe a page or two from a manual? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-29-2003, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

I will try to get you a few pages from my manual this afternoon. PM me your email and I will send them. Oh, I got your latest PM, but thought I would just reply here.

Old 07-29-2003, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

Unless you're really lucky and it slides right back together, you're gonna have to take off the cv boot clamp and reinsert the shaft into the cv joint. It takes a special pliers, but I use a needle nose pliers and a small needle nose vicegrips to take apart those clips. It's a pain in the butt though...just sware you're way through it!!

Old 07-29-2003, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider

NCScram, could not get pm to work. My e-mail is dlx700@hotmail.com. (that is my junk mail so if anyone sends other junk don't matter). If it is large e-mail me there and will send normal one. Gonna go tinker some more.
Thanks

Old 07-30-2003, 01:38 AM
Elite Pro Rider

You can borrow those boot clamp pliers from Autozone. They just require a $10 deposit[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-30-2003, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry I couldn't send the pics. my computer at home is on the fritz and I can't get on the internet, so.... Here at work I don't have a scanner. Try what pudljumpr suggested and I will try to get my computer back on line.

Old 07-30-2003, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

It should not come apart like that, you will have to take the boot off and take a look inside. Clean it so its spotless, check for damages and lube it all up again and put it back together. There will be a c-clip (or a sur clip) that holds the CV joint together so it does not fall apart like you said it did. This might damaged or missing on your CV joint. It doesn't matter if its a Polaris, Honda, Kawi, etc, no CV joint should just fall apart like that.

EDIT: Oh yah, you said toe, meaning the one by the tire right? If so it might not be rebuildable, alot of the newer quads do not let you rebuild those but require you to buy a new axle shaft or you can take it to a specialty shop and they can work on it.

Old 07-30-2003, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: bbertram
It should not come apart like that,

In my experience there is no clip holding them together, in fact the instructions that came with my HL lift kit warned against allowing it to pull out too far. Of course I let one come out too far, and it took a half hour and a lot of swearing to get it back together. But I didn't take the boot off to do it. I have changed my front axles a couple times, and there is nothing holding them in. If there was it would restrict the "plunge" of the splined end of the axleshaft. I cant see them putting one on the rear either, but I've never seen one. I can't speak fo other brands, but I know how the Sportsman is.
So, you dont absolutely have to pull the boot off to look inside, but in the long run it might save some time and ease in the reinstallation of the shaft. Its bsically just a matter of lining up the male end of the shaft with the splines in a cup that moves all over and you can't see it because of the boot.
good luck

Old 07-30-2003, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

Very strange, Polaris must use some custom backwards design or something...lol. You should be able to take that axle right off and twirl it around all day and nothing will fall apart. I have never worked on a Polaris before so I don't know forsure.

Old 07-30-2003, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

Well... got the CV joint back together. No amount of swearing, twisting or luck would get it back together at first. Finally undone the large end of the boot, the female part of the joint was twisted way off. Had to pop it with a piece of PVC to get it to move. There is a small circlip on the end but think it is mainly to hold during factory assembly. Will have to add more grease, does it take just regular grease? Also I got the clamp off. But guess will have to get another, read about some reusing theirs but I had no luck with that. Mechanic at the dealer said he can reuse. May have to call them again and possibly go use their tool. Thanks for the help and info guys. Hope all this helps with my tires rubbing.