Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Lights dim at off idle engine speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 12:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights dim at off idle engine speed

I have a 2000 Polaris Sportsman. I recently purchased it used and was coming down a logging road in the dark with the headlights on. Soon I noticed the headlights were getting progressively dimmer. I thought maybe the battery or charging circuit wasn't working. When I slowed down and the engine returned to idle speed the headlights got bright and the battery seemed to charge. After allowing the battery to get charged for a bit, I again proceeded down the trail. I also noticed that the speedometer works fine until the lights dim and then the speedometer stops working all together.

I replaced the regulator/rectifier but still have the same problem.

Any suggestions?

MntnRider

Old 09-16-2004, 05:05 AM
Pro Rider

The lights will dim slightly when the fan kicks in, at least it does on my sp700. Dont know about the other problem, check the forum for speedo info, do a search.

Old 09-16-2004, 11:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for your reply. The lights dim immediately after throttling the engine above idle speed. Happens every time I get above idle. When above idle the battery is not getting charged, it is only charging at idle speed.

Old 09-16-2004, 04:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Can you confirm that with a voltmeter? Just put the voltmeter across the battery terminals, and check the volts at motor off, motor on and idle, motor on and idle with lights, and motor on at revs, and motor on at revs and lights. When the motor is running, it should show more volts than when the motor is off, and then its chargeing. Any battery problems ....like low water, or crusty terminals, slow cranking?

Old 09-16-2004, 04:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply.

In the meantime I ran a resistance test on the stator charging coils and found on one of the tests an open connection. Soooooo, I guess I get to buy a new stator. Anyone know where I can get one for less than $300?

MntnRider

Old 09-16-2004, 05:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey MntnRider, I am totally new to this forum, and I have exactly the same problem except mine does not even charge at idle ( I confirmed this with a volt meter and fully charged battery ). Can you please (or anybody for that matter) tell me where the regulator/rectifier is located? Also, how exactly do you check the stator and where do you check it? Guys I am not a mechanic, but the closest one to me is 100 miles and I have Factory Service Manual that I bought in case I broke down by myself out in the desert and a zillllion tools.....Doesn't look like that would have done me much good does it when I totally do not understand it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I have a 1999 0r 2000 (not sure) Polaris 500 Sportsman.

Thanks for any help y'all might give me

Rick

Old 09-19-2004, 06:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Rev,

I found out that the wiring harness was routed over the head of the engine. Because of the sharp cooling fins on the head and the vibration encountered during rides, the unfortunate outcome was a cut through the harness. This eventually led to a broken and burned wire within the harness. I simply cut and spliced the wire and retaped the harness and then re-routed it to avoid further occurances. WHEW!!! It works fine now.

To answer your question regarding the location of the regulator. If you're standing in front of the machine with the headlights facing you, the regulator is right behind the grill on the right side (as you face it). May also be easier to see it if you turn your handlebars to the full left position and look up under the front rack area.

To test the stator: Unplug the three wires going to the regulator-Yellow; Yellow w/Brown stripe; Yellow w/Red stripe. Then take an ohm meter and test the ends not connected to the regulator, but the ones going to the stator.
Reference your manual or wiring diagram that came with your machine, it should tell you the resistances across these wires. For instance, on my 2000 sportsman 335, checking the Yellow and Yellow w/Red wires for resistance should read approximately 0.17 ohms. When I checked mine the Yellow and Yellow w/Brown wires did not read anything, this told me either the wire was bad in the harness, or the stator was bad. Removing the stator and harness allowed me to see the cut in the harness.

The stator can be located by removing the cover for the pull start. Before doing this locate or rent an appropriate puller to remove the flywheel. This is the next step after removing the pull start cover. Then the stator can be easily removed after the flywheel.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to ask more, we are all here to help each other get the most enjoyment out of our machines.

MntnRider

Old 09-19-2004, 07:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I sure am glad you found your problem MntnRider, and thanks to YOU I found mine. The bullet connection at the regulator on the yellow wire was broken in half. Put on a spade connector (didn't have any bullet connectors), and "walla" she went to charging. I put some heat shrink over the spade so it won't short against anything.

I sure am glad I got it fixed, as I am taking off next Sunday right after church with 4 others on a three day ride cross country ride to Jerome (about 300 miles) and it would be a real bummer not to have any lights and especially have to pull start it all the way. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I am going to print out your instructions on the stator and all, and insert it in the Service Manual. It should have been in there anywayin my opinion.

Rick

Old 09-21-2004, 12:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Way to go Rev,

This is a great community here and all of us contribute to some very pleasurable riding. Have fun on your trip and don't forget to stretch those hamstrings. Stiff back muscles can take the pleasure of riding out real quick on a long ride.

Enjoy, and we'll talk back at ya' later. :-)

MntnRider