Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 500 on downhills?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2000, 02:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I'd throw this one up real quick. Basically, I'm wondering how stable and steady a SP500 w/EBS is on steep downhills. Obviously there is no 4wd going downhills (don't want answers concerning tricking it into awd here) so it has that strike against it. I'm curious as to how often you get it sliding down out of control. I do a lot of steep loose downhills, and I wonder how much this would effect my kind of riding.

Also, how good is the EBS for downhilling? Obviously its better than one without it, but compared to a geared bike with low range, how does it fair. I know its not as good, but how much worse is it. Sure this is hard to describe, but any help would be fine.

Last, how well does it brake downhill? Are they good enough to actually stop the bike halfway down a huge grade in the steepest part? My AC will stop and hold in almost any place, but it also has all 4 wheels linked to help it.

That Sp500 thing still sort of looms in the back of my mind. Maybe because its late now, and maybe not. Who knows, but I still want to pose these questions. If nothing else, it gives this forum another topic on the counter.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 09-24-2000, 03:41 AM
Pro Rider

ANDY;I think the other two question depend on the rider.But yes the EBS does work and it will stop you dead still on steep slope,if it gives you any trouble all you have to do is gas it.Just have to learn how to handle the beast!!!I've been on some very steep loose gravel type hills and like I say it will definately stop you.CM

Old 09-24-2000, 05:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thats two positives now Cob. Another step closer to swaying me once again. I'm in need of some tires for my truck pretty soon too, and I hope that doesn't get in my head. Sad that I have almost 30,000 miles on a truck that I bought Oct. 14th of last year. The new job takes care of that though. These tires are about worn out and they are... yep, Firestone Wilderness AT's. Only problem is they are 265-75-16, and aren't part of the recall. Yet, that is. Maybe I can hold out and they will recall them. Hopefully. Good to hear that the EBS does a good job. I wish I had the chance to check it out for myself, but I'll just take word of mouth for now. Not a whole lot of steep and crooked's over at the dealership.

Old 09-24-2000, 07:24 AM
Pro Rider

Andy as you know I have owned the cat and now have the sportsman it is as different as apples and oranges...the first time I went down something steep on the sportsman I really got the pucker effect, practice practice practice and now it is nothing going down steep stuff. I used to use the 4 wheel lock that you didn't want to hear about but it really helped in getting used to the way it handled coming down steep stuff now I don't bother, head over steep stuff I do mean steep stuff a goat would have trouble standing on give gas with a little mix off brake tapping and grin from ear to ear, I sometimes wonder how I did without the 4 wheel pulling power not that some of my buddys don't go where I do, I just do it a lot easier...also Andy over 1200 miles no breakdown, noticed the other day one of the brass fittings gone on the a arm in the front but what do you expect when you are running 26x12x12 tires, besides I got the extended warranty...come to WV if possible I will show you what a sportsman will do...

Old 09-24-2000, 07:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

By the time I found a hole in my work schedule to get to W. Virginia, I would already be a master at controlling the Sportsman. I would have one by then probably. I shouldn't say it, but I'm probably Pro-Sportsman again. The weekend does wierd things to ones mind.

Old 09-25-2000, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

EBS...amazing!

Old 09-25-2000, 02:23 AM
Pro Rider

Andy, all the questions you have posted here I can tell you, the SP can handle them all.
EBS works great when riding on the flat and down hill. The procedure you didn't want to hear about works great too. I rode down a hill so steep (using the procedure you didn't want to hear about) I thought I would role over end for end. The EBS held and I crawled down the hill at a couple of mph.
Now just buy the damn thing and enjoy.
If you decide not to buy you will have to get used to coming in second, if you know what I mean.

Old 09-25-2000, 11:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Second to what? A honda 300? Nobody around here has a Polaris, otherwise, I might know the answers to all of these questions already. One guy I know that lives up in the sticks had a Mag500, but it burned down with his garage and 98 F350 powerstroke. I already have the baddest quad around these parts. I just want a badder one.

Old 09-25-2000, 11:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Duplicate