Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

04 Sportsman 700 Carb Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 12:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Sportsman 700 Carb Question

I have a 04 Sportsman 700 Carb model. This is my first winter with this 4 wheeler and I have read about the Carb fix to help with starting and running in cold. Does anyone know if this is a free repair from the dealer "service bulletin"and if not how much did it cost to have this carb problem fixed? My 700 takes atleast 4 to 5 minutes of idle in the cold before I can ride it. For those that have done this fix does it help much?
Here are link to what I read

Polaris Team tips here

Thanks for the help in advance.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Old 12-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Range Rover

My 04 Sp 700 carb does too. All I do is chock it and leave it in the garage. I have never had a problem. It runs like a top..

Old 12-01-2005, 06:04 PM
Range Rover

Welcome to the connection Woody.

Some dealers will do it, some won't. I did the "cold weather carb update" myself, my dealer refused to he said it would not make much of a difference but it did. Print out the TSB you have there and talk to your dealer, maybe he will work with you.

The carb'ed twins still take a while to warm-up but with the "update" you'll get easier start-up, better throttle response and I believe more power in any weather. The parts cost around $90 not including the brass plug, you won't need that. The install is not difficult, I had no problems and never messed with a carb before.

If your dealer does it, make sure they do the update and not just "tweek" the setting on the pilot jet. A couple other things that speed up the warm-up process in freezing weather is a Pure Polaris block heater and NGK plugs.

Good luck, have fun in the snow.

Oh, and have your dealer check your VIN, your 700 may already have the update from the factory. The twins take a while to warm-up.

Old 12-02-2005, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

nice post Andre. I had the update done on my 600 and it warms up quicker and runs better, still cold blooded like Andre said, but performs better in cold weather. Over all performance is improved too, which only makes sense considering the main jet is replaced with a larger one. When I bought the bike I asked the dealer about the update and he said not to worry about it, but if I wanted it done I would have to pay for it. After the weather turned colder and I realized I might need it, I went to another dealer that was even closer and they said they would do the work free of charge, no questions asked. Funny how dealers can be so different. Polaris is supposed to cover the dealer's time, they should all be willing to do it, too bad some are so greedy. Woody, you should be able to find a dealer willing to do it, if not, it can't be that bad to do yourself, hardes part will be drilling out the plug covering the fuel screw, the rest is a piece of cake. and leave the fuel screw exposed, don't cover it up again.

good luck

Old 12-02-2005, 10:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Cool Thanks for all the Info. I will go down and check with the local dealer tonight. I was also wondering how it affects performance but now I know thanks for that info also.
I have rebuilt my Scrambler engine by myself so I am some what mechanically enclined but to be honest drilling my Carb makes me nervious I think I would fill better having a dealer do this update.
My father has a 500HO and I use to have a 500HO before I got this 700 and a few days ago I was helping him put on his snow plow starting that thing in the cold just reminded me about how cold blooded this 700 is that is what got me thinking about this again. Again thanks for the help

Old 12-02-2005, 06:03 PM
Range Rover

Woody, your just drilling a small hole in the cap so you can thread a drywall screw in a half turn so the brass cap can be pulled out to get at the pilot screw. It comes out like butter.

The "tamper proof" cap is mandated by the Feds so the carb or emissions cannot be altered by unauthorized personnel