Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

The Infamous Sportsman creeping

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006 | 11:14 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default The Infamous Sportsman creeping

I've read all the "creeping" threads here and just wanted to see if anyone has found out more on this issue. It seems so common you would think there would be a common solution. I have a 2002 HO and it started creeping. I tried a new belt and checked alignment which didn't help. I did buy 2 washers which I was told would do the trick by Polaris dealer. I thought that did it but after a good 12 hour ride I'm back to badly creeping again.

Is buying a new primary really the key here?? Before i go doing that I was hoping some one might have some more recent findings on this problem.

Old 06-15-2006 | 11:19 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

only time my 02 500 ho creeped is when the belt shrunk. replaced it w/ a top cog 700 belt and never happened again. i did read or heard something about if the ebs bearong wears out it makes it creep also,not sure though.

Old 06-16-2006 | 10:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah stendori's got it right. I have an 05 500 HO and it started creeping after an allday ride. Started stalling in gear at low rpm and was very difficult to shift from low to reverse. I had about a 1000 miles at the time and had not serviced the clutch's yet. Following day went to the dealer and bought a 800sp($100 CAN) belt with the top cogs. Then all I did was clean the clutch's real well and put the new belt on. Hasn't been a problem since. I think the key is regular maintenance of the clutch's, an unbeleivable amount of black dust came out of there. Also keep an eye on those face plate bushings on the primary, they don't seem to last very long.
Hope this helps.

GO OILERS

Old 06-16-2006 | 11:13 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info guys. I did buy the 700 belt with the top caugs which didn't help. Maybe I do need to open the primary back up and make sure the bearing is still functioning right and clean everything up.

I know there are a lot of things in the primary I would love to lube up but think I was told not to use grease (of course). Is there any kind of lube of some sort you guys use in the clutch or do you just a good cleaning.

Old 06-16-2006 | 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

Have you checked you center - center distance? I know you said you checked alignment what about deflection??? The motor mounts on all of the sportsmans are pretty weak and they allow the engines to move pretty easy. We are working on some new ones as we speak but stillwaiting for parts. Anyone interested in testing them send me an e-mail @ tech@speedwerx.com include your phone # and what model you ahve along with the year thanx Jeremy

Old 06-16-2006 | 12:58 PM
Range Rover

Maineiac15 …Sounds like you did a search (on the forums f##ked up search program)

I also have a 2002 500 ho and went thru the whole scenario!

Trust me on this grit your teeth and go out and buy a new complete clutch. It will cost you 450 dollars, but it will solve your problem.

The washers are a short term fix as is a new belt (700 belt or not)
What happens is the sheave face wear away and the belt rides on top of the spraqe not in the slots..........

Read my post on this subject ……………..One good bit of advise given here is to check your engine mounts, a known weak point.

Old 06-16-2006 | 01:38 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Ya I had a dealer check the whole positioning of the clutch, motor mounts etc... and they tell me it's all good. I have another 2002 500 X I think has the same primary which I didn't want to take apart but I'm thinking I really should just to make sure before I spend the $450. If it does it then I'll tell ya the truth, $450 is worth the crap I went through on that 12 hour ride. If I was any where's near a cliff I would have seriously thought about letting it go!!

Old 06-16-2006 | 01:48 PM
Range Rover

My 01 sportsman started creeping about 2 years ago, It made itshift hard, grind gears, stall when shifting ect. Kept riding it tho. I finally started working for a polaris dealer just helping out with cutting.splitting wood, and helping out in the shop. I told them about it they took it appart immediatly, The shims go bad in the clutch which makes the primary clutch engage to the belt inturn when its in gear it creeps because the belt is engages to the primary. They have a different materialized shims they put in now, Re did the buttons aswell. Put it together with the old belt and it was likenew again. I was so happy, no more hard starts in gear, nomore grinding gears, one time the wheeler creeped right away from me right into a skidder rut, what fun that was gettting out. Hope this helps, Brian

Old 11-04-2019 | 09:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Sportsman 500 HO creep and touch to shift.

Originally Posted by bjrjr16
My 01 sportsman started creeping about 2 years ago, It made itshift hard, grind gears, stall when shifting ect. Kept riding it tho. I finally started working for a polaris dealer just helping out with cutting.splitting wood, and helping out in the shop. I told them about it they took it appart immediatly, The shims go bad in the clutch which makes the primary clutch engage to the belt inturn when its in gear it creeps because the belt is engages to the primary. They have a different materialized shims they put in now, Re did the buttons aswell. Put it together with the old belt and it was likenew again. I was so happy, no more hard starts in gear, nomore grinding gears, one time the wheeler creeped right away from me right into a skidder rut, what fun that was gettting out. Hope this helps, Brian

check your belt positioning. Make sure it’s between the primary sheaves on the one way bearing and not touching the sides of the primary sheaves. Could literally be that simple.