exriders Review on the Outlaw 525 with Video

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default exriders Review on the Outlaw 525 with Video

Originally posted by: GE4x4
So your baseing all your comments on a atv article based on the 500 when it first came out. So how much seat time do you think those writers had? Mayby a day. So it sounds like you base a lot of your info on Mag articals, and we all know how acruate they are. Yet, Jeff wrote his review on the 525 and you don't believe him? He's not trying to sell mags, he's not paid by Polaris, so what does he gain by giving us his review? He's giving us his honest review so we as riders can make a quality choice on a quad if we want to buy it or not. And like I've said many times, you can't just hop on the Outlaw and ride it like a solid axle. And that is what these guys who do the article's are doing. They don't have much time on them, so they thus report on what you quoted. Jeff has much more seat time, so can give a more quality review then someone with just a day experience.

Now you say you don't bash the Outlaw. What about the topic on best trail quad. Everyone was giving there opinion, and I gave mine on the Outlaw 525. This is my response.

At first if your a SRA guy, it will take a little adjustment to the IRS. But once you have it down, you can ride it just like a SRA but without the harsh ride. This guy will never have another SRA again.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOW YOURS

No way, not until they do something to stabilize the rear ........

It does not track flat in turns like a straight axle machine, and it won't unless they find some way for it to imitate a solid axle.

And they absolutely suck on jumps unless the face is perfectly straight. In the rough whoops or off-camber chop they walk away from you. When you have power going to wheels that are not even inertia will carry you to the side that is getting traction first. With a solid axle this does not happen because both wheels are still flat and even even if only one is touching.

You cannot control the machine with throttle the same way, using the "hold it wide open until you straighten out" is not possible on the IRS system. It works on cars because they are designed to not break traction. While riding an ATV in the dirt aggressively it is imperative that you can break traction at the times you need to in oder to control the times you don't mean to.

The IRS has it's benefits, but aggressive riding is not one of them. Talk to Matt Smiley sometime and he will tell you the same thing.

Boy you really are not bashing are you, and it sure sounds like your speaking from experience and not from a article you read in a mag.

Then you come back with this.

There are certain aspects of the IRS that I personally did not like. Seat-bouncing for jumps or whoops simple did not produce the same results you get from a SA quad. Getting it to slide the correct way proved to be impossible for me, I could not get the back end to snap around, it only wanted to roll or slide minimally in the wash. After a turn when you are slung low onto the inside peg, the machine wants to keep turning until you get back up straight. On a SA machine you go where the handle-bars are pointing not where the rear end wants you to. The IRS shoves power to the side that is getting more traction, and the machine wants to turn. On a SA quad you can have the back end sideways but the quad will still be going straight forward. The Outlaw wants to drive you in the direction the rear wheels are pointing, and not where the front wheels are pointing..... in essence you are getting too much traction for the maneuver.

Don't get me wrong, like I said, with the right rider I'm sure the Outlaw could win races. I just don't think anyone who has been racing on straight axle machines their whole life is going to do it. Of course we are talking woods and not MX..... No way any IRS machine is going to compete in MX.

Nobody was asking for your opinion on the Outlaw. The topic was, what you thought was the best trail quad. But whenever the Outlaw is mentioned, you allways and mean allways seem to get in and start bashing it.
I admitted I was overly harsh in some of those posts, and I did not mean to be bashing without cause. But I was wrongly carrying over some arguments I was having with other people on the topic.

But I'm not basing anything on a magazine, I JUST searched those articles out to make my point here since you were acting like I was the first person on the planet to point out such things.....(they said similar in ATV Riders.com too, as well as Dirt Wheels and Quad) I was basing it on the seat time I had (yes I know it was limited) but I've been riding long enough to know what I feel under my feet..... As I said I'm not bashing but rather jumping in on debate to show another side of the argument.

As I said, there are a lot of good things about the Outlaw.... It handles rough terrain amazingly well and the power (of the 500) was impressive. I'm sure the new KTM engine makes it an absolute screamer...... I've said many times that given the right rider the thing could win...Does that not say enough good? How much better of a compliment do you need?......My z400 could not win anything stock, but I believe the Outlaw could.......So you cannot accept anything good I say because I also point out things I don't like?

I didn't like the old 660Raptor, I thought it handled like crap and I said so many times. Fact is I jumped in on many debates to point out the fact that it handled poorly, was I bashing? Not really......

Old 01-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ss97, I've read many of your post and they are informative and enjoy reading. But you must admit, you haven't really given the Outlaw to much credit, but a lot of negitive to it. Opinions are one thing, but you were speaking as everything you say was fact and not a opinion. But just because you didn't like it, or it didn't handle they way you like, doesn't mean the next guy can't. But you speak like if you can't do it, then no one can. I applaud Polaris for having the b*lls to make a irs quad. And now with a race motor and lighter weight, you will see more at the track.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: GE4x4
ss97, I've read many of your post and they are informative and enjoy reading. But you must admit, you haven't really given the Outlaw to much credit, but a lot of negitive to it. Opinions are one thing, but you were speaking as everything you say was fact and not a opinion. But just because you didn't like it, or it didn't handle they way you like, doesn't mean the next guy can't. But you speak like if you can't do it, then no one can. I applaud Polaris for having the b*lls to make a irs quad. And now with a race motor and lighter weight, you will see more at the track.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I admit it.... I've been kind of a butt-head over the whole thing (I've very resistant to change) but I never meant to sound as if this stood for every person who gets on an Outlaw. It was just relaying the things I noticed while riding, of course this is based on my riding style. The fact that there are others who agree with me, and others who do not, simple means there is room for debate.

I did kind of ambush that thread, sorry I don't usually do that. But as I said I wrongly carried over an argument from another post. I'm not generally a basher of anything and looking back I was a bit tunnel visioned.

This debate comes down to personal preference. I've never ridden anything but SRA machines so IRS in general felt bizarre to me. The only other IRS seat time I've had was on my Father's Sportsman 700, and that thing is a truck with handlebars...... Without question, a person used to IRS could probably avoid most of the issues I was having because I was riding it like I ride my z400. I'm sure you see the trail differently with IRS, and make choices based on that and not as if you are on a SRA. You're right, with significant seat-time I might feel different. And maybe the new engine is so much better that the things I noticed won't matter.

For all intents and purposes the things I didn't like are small in comparison to the overall scope of the riding experience. It's not like if someone gave me one I'd throw it away. The Outlaw is one of the best equipped stock machines I've ever seen, the thing practically comes with after-market suspension.

But I like that harsh ride of a SRA....... keeps me awake ....lol

Old 01-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

Cool.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-25-2007, 01:43 PM
Range Rover

http://www.sonicoffroad.com/index.htm

Old 01-25-2007, 01:59 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: claas900
http://www.sonicoffroad.com/index.htm
I've been keeping track of their progress....looks like a very nice system! Rob is super fast and if it can stand up to him its gotta be good quality!

Old 01-25-2007, 04:51 PM
Range Rover

Yea they offered one for the dale at one time,not sure what happend to that. Jeff have you ever ridden there set up?

Old 01-25-2007, 06:03 PM
Range Rover

No but I'd like too....if you can't tell, I'm a big fan of IRS. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-28-2007, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: propolaris
Polaris is leading the way, The rest will copy like they always do.

Did can-am copy polaris to make your ds 650 ??? just wondering loL. Yeah the outlaw will be the building block for all other companys to make cross country atv`s. I dont think the compete well in moto but the baja or cross country will be unstopable through rough terrain.