Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

looking for someone to rebuild my clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for someone to rebuild my clutch

My sportsman creeps in Grear as a result of the belt not fully disengaging. When the primary Disengages the belt is stuck to the one way clutch and still engaged to the Fixed sheave. I believe it is because of the washers causing too much side to side movement in the one way clutch. I do not have the tools to take the clutch apart and rebuild it. the machine has apx 900 miles on it and this is the 3'rd time i have had this issue. previous repairs added up to $600 each time for full replacement of the clutch belt and cover seals by my dealer. I am done playing this game as the parts i need are under $10.

Anyone near Flint or Lansing MI.

Thanks

Old 12-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

One thing you can check is if the weights are worn ,push the primary clutch in by hand or with something,wiggle the weight side to side look for movement if it rocks it may not be letting the clutch dissengage all the way. The bushings were out .

Old 12-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

I will check this, thanks for the tip. The Clutch was replaced apx 200 miles ago. do you still think the weights are a possibility. if this is the issue i still need someone to rebuild for me, right?

Old 12-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: grizzlyman79

I will check this, thanks for the tip. The Clutch was replaced apx 200 miles ago. do you still think the weights are a possibility. if this is the issue i still need someone to rebuild for me, right?</end quote></div>

I would doubt the weights are bad with that low of miles. You can change the weights yourself if needed though. The clutch doesn't even need removed to do weights.
I'm guessing your fiber washer is gone in the clutch and that job needs special tools. I'd do it for you but I'm nowhere near you.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

seems to me if you can take the clutch off w/ a puller just take it to someone w/ the tools to take it aprt to replace the fiber washer or 1 way ebs bushing. would be alot cheaper then taking the whole bike in. imo.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stendori

seems to me if you can take the clutch off w/ a puller just take it to someone w/ the tools to take it aprt to replace the fiber washer or 1 way ebs bushing. would be alot cheaper then taking the whole bike in. imo.</end quote></div>

That's what i plan to do if i can find someone near me with the tools. the only people i know are the dealerships. I will take the clutch to the dealership to repair if i can not find anyone on here. I thought i would check on here for someone with a side-hustle first.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Did you try putting a couple drops of oil on the weights along side of the bushings? Could maybe your idle has gotten tweaked up a little? The weidhts shouldn't be worn,but if the dealer put your old guts in a new clutch body then your talkin alot more miles that they could have been dry.

Trending Topics

Old 12-11-2008, 10:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: grizzlyman79

My sportsman creeps in Grear as a result of the belt not fully disengaging. When the primary Disengages the belt is stuck to the one way clutch and still engaged to the Fixed sheave. I believe it is because of the washers causing too much side to side movement in the one way clutch. I do not have the tools to take the clutch apart and rebuild it. the machine has apx 900 miles on it and this is the 3'rd time i have had this issue. previous repairs added up to $600 each time for full replacement of the clutch belt and cover seals by my dealer. I am done playing this game as the parts i need are under $10.

Anyone near Flint or Lansing MI.

Thanks</end quote></div>

Other than possibly the fiber washer worn behind the one way,it usually is the washer under the cap before the one way that wears and sticks,you have to have the tool to remove the spider to get to it! Plus probably about time to lightly lube the inside of the one way for the roller bearings. DONT KNOW WHY,but as I've said before, 2001 and 2002 models are the ones I have the most trouble on creeping and in turn causing hard shifting and people "hydrolocking" the shift boxes! Early models did use a brass washer under the cup but was superceded to a stronger washer,BUT I've even had them wear down quickly! Probably best to let someone qualified to do this,so if they screw it up you have someone other than yourself to yelp at!! Good luck opt

Old 12-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the tech tips. I found someone who works at a Yamaha dealership to tear it apart and rebuild. he said he has never dealt with theses polaris clutches before but he thinks he should have no problem figuring it out and he has all the necessary tools.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

finally got the quad back and it was the brass washer wore to under .015 thick in 200 miles. oh well. now that it is shifting good the four wheel drive wants to engage when it is not shifted into 4 wheel and it makes a thump noise