Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sp 800 creeping forward at idle??

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009 | 07:21 PM
|
Range Rover
Default sp 800 creeping forward at idle??

My 2007 sportsman x2 800 is creeping forward at idle in low and reverse. It also makes a repeticious click with a slight jerking movement during each click. It is also hard to shift at idle when it is doing this.

The atv had the entire trans gearbox replaced under warranty about 20 miles ago. I remember the dealer mentioned that it was creeping, and they made some adjustment.

Does anybody know what causes this?
I have heard people mention the creeping, but not the click and jerk thing.

Do you think it is something the dealer should fix, because it was part of the previous repair?

Thanks for any advice

Old 04-16-2009 | 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

My buddy's new 08 800 is creeping at idle too. Idling way too high. It is an intermittent problem. He is going to take it to the dealer to have it fixed. I will let you know what they do. I would definitely take yours back to the dealer if I were you.

Old 04-16-2009 | 07:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sounds like they need to redo their work and align the clutches up! Plus check the belt. Creeping can come from clutches out of alignment,bad belts, plus from one way bearing in front clutch needing repair. Might be the clicking you are hearing?? Keep us posted Good luck OPT

Old 04-16-2009 | 07:46 PM
|
Range Rover

Are the clutches inside of the new trans/gearbox? I assumed they were, shouldnt they have been aligned in the new part, or is that part of the intstall? How about the bearing in front clutch is that part of the new assembly? The part they replaced looks like it would include most everything (to me anyway)? It is huge, cost about $1400

Thanks for your help. I like to understand whats going on so the dealer doesnt give me the runaround.

Old 04-16-2009 | 07:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by cscotter
Are the clutches inside of the new trans/gearbox? I assumed they were, shouldnt they have been aligned in the new part, or is that part of the intstall? How about the bearing in front clutch is that part of the new assembly? The part they replaced looks like it would include most everything (to me anyway)? It is huge, cost about $1400

Thanks for your help. I like to understand whats going on so the dealer doesnt give me the runaround.
Clutches behind black cover by your left foot! Have em check it out. The one way bearing is in the front clutch. Clutches are not part of the trans,BUT have to work properly with each other AND since dealer is aware of creeping LET him repair!! Good luck

Old 04-17-2009 | 05:22 PM
Trailblazer

replace the thrust washers on both sides of the one way clutch in your primary. when they get worn,the belt won't ride in the grooves correctly, and will want to creep.

Old 04-17-2009 | 05:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Your belt deflection could be wrong, causing the belt to run higher and grabbing on your clutch cover. This happened to me after the local dealer serviced my clutch, they did not put all the spacers back in my secondary. I kept driving it anyway because it was hunting season and the belt almost burnt a hole in my cover. If you take your cover off and this is your problem you should see wear on the inside were your belt runs.

Old 04-17-2009 | 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

OPT is on the right track(not that I need to verify that,lol)..the seconday is mounted to the tranny..the primary to the engine..when the tranny is removed/replaced the clutches must be aligned properly. Other things can cause creeping but being that the tranny was removed/replaced/reinstalled that is where I would tend to look first. The click and jerk could be from the belt being hourglassed which could also be the result of poor alignment..