Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

OK HO lets have the low down :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, thanks.

So, you are saying the suspension smooths out quicker? This due to the longer wheelbase and TTI suspension?

It's funny...when I look at atv's I bring my father along. He always stares and oogles over the TTI suspension on the Outties. Has said since the first time we saw one in 05..."this suspension just has to work better".

Old 09-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Roofer
Yes, thanks.

So, you are saying the suspension smooths out quicker? This due to the longer wheelbase and TTI suspension?

It's funny...when I look at atv's I bring my father along. He always stares and oogles over the TTI suspension on the Outties. Has said since the first time we saw one in 05..."this suspension just has to work better".
When I said short wheelbase...I meant in general...ie compared to an automobile. I admit I am far from a suspension expert so this is just a slightly educated guess...I think part of it is because of the Max's longer wheelbase...but the bigger part IMO is a faster acting suspension...it asorbs the bump and instantly rebounds to keep the tires planted..the TTI might be part of that...again I am not a ATV suspension expert..I know alot more about drag racing suspension set ups than I do anything that involves curves...what I do know is My 2010 Outty Max is alot less hairy when hitting a bump in a curve at 60+ MPH that the XP was lol. Why that is...I can only guess. Heck with a good set of shocks the XP might do just as well or better..I'm sure both's shocks could be improved upon for waht $2000 or so lol..

Old 09-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

Saying this as nicely as possible and not bashing......this is what I think it is........

A combination of the soft front suspension, TTI in the rear, and the 12" wheels vs. 14" wheels on the XP.

I remember when Polaris had SRA in all their atv's. They used to run 10" wheels in the rear for a better ride. Really didn't do anything, except give you the impression of better suspension.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

Last edited by Roofer; 09-22-2009 at 08:55 PM. Reason: double post
Old 09-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

Saying this as nicely as possible and not bashing......this is what I think it is........

A combination of the soft front suspension, TTI in the rear, and the 12" wheels vs. 14" wheels on the XP.

I remember when Polaris had SRA in all their atv's. They used to run 10" wheels in the rear for a better ride. Really didn't do anything, except give you the impression of better suspension.
LOL...no need to be as nice as possible...just don't be a smart *** if that isn't too much trouble.

That could very well be the case. But the suspension does not feel softer at all...it's actually tighter feeling,and front end dive is less than with the XP. In any case whatever the reason it handles better than the XP at high speeds on hard pack/pavement.
I have 14's and BHs coming...I'll let you know what difference that makes.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

The front suspension hasn't changed in years on the Outlander that I know of. Maybe just needs a few more miles on it.

I wasn't trying to be a smartass, although it may look like it sometimes when stating facts.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

The front suspension hasn't changed in years on the Outlander that I know of. Maybe just needs a few more miles on it.

I wasn't trying to be a smartass, although it may look like it sometimes when stating facts.
New front suspension geometry for 2010....highlighed as being easier steering,obviously easier steering is a bigger deal on non-DPS models...none the less...the front suspension is different..not sure if that includes the shocks...
Also the upper A-arms are now steel...reason being... it was cheaper to make them out of steel than to re-tool for new aluminum ones to make the geometry changes, so I hear.
In any case the dive/sag is non-exisistent on mine. I actually turned down the shock pre-load from the 3rd notch where it was set from the factory to the 2nd. That might change with some miles...but according to kawifan the2010 front end it defnitely a better set up than his 2007 was...all I know is I'm having no sag/dive issues...and I got on the brakes as hard as I could from over 70 mph today and the dive didn't catch my attention at all.

FACTS is a pretty bold statement...

Old 09-22-2009, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

Looking at the parts fiche the 2010 MAX XT has a different front shock part number than the 09' MAX XT as well...

Old 09-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

I know the site says new suspension geometry, but it actually is "new STEERING geometry". Has more to do with easier steering. Doesn't do anything for the soft front suspension.
Just a play on words they are using.

As for the parts....we know how that goes. They change frequently depending on price. I'm sure it may be a little different now down in Mexico as apposed to Canada.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

I know the site says new suspension geometry, but it actually is "new STEERING geometry". Has more to do with easier steering. Doesn't do anything for the soft front suspension.
Just a play on words they are using.

As for the parts....we know how that goes. They change frequently depending on price. I'm sure it may be a little different now down in Mexico as apposed to Canada.
And you know how? I agree no real way to know at this point....but is it posible the suspension geometry is different? ie different shock angles ect? Is it possible the shocks are better? BTW when did can-am start making them in Mexico...bet it has been longer than you think. I agree the steering effort improvement is a STEERING geometry thing...but you are just guessing about pretty much everything you are posting about. If you had actually ridden one and had something other that speculation it would be different. I'm not saying for sure the front suspension is any better than on the old ones,my time on the older ones was minimal(as I imagine yours was as well)...but it damn sure is good as the XPs as far as I am concerned.
For Goodness sake Roofer...GO RIDE ONE,and not around the dealers parking lot...then we can better discuss it...right now I am just telling you what I think after riding it and you are just trying to counter it in any way possible with nothing more than a ride on a 2006 and what you have READ on forums about older models and Outty's in general. The 2010 front suspension maybe identical to the old ones,and if it is and everyone says the front suspension dives and sags I would hate to see what they have to say about the XPs front suspension. As for needing more miles to start sagging/diving...how long have you READ that it takes for them to start sagging...I'll be looking for it.