Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris 400 quietion

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 10:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 400 quietion

Ok i bought a 1997 express 4oo. I think it has broke piston and is locked up. i dont hve the motor out yet. Im still tring to fifgure out how to get the clutch of, The head on it has 400 and e-2 on top of it. well today i found a secound polaris 4 wheeler for parts bike . It also has a 400 motor and the same transmision. but the head on it has 400 and E-1 on the top. What is the difrence in the e-2 head and the E-1 haed moter? The parts bike is a 1996 scrambler 400 2x4 i think but am not positive of that. On the parts bike i can turn the motor over by hand by turning the clutch. This motor seems to be more usable than the one on the express, so i plan to remove it and do rebuild and put in the express. I dont have cluthc remover tool so im trying to figure out how to remove the clutches some other way. I have remover clutch shaft bolt but its stuck on shaft still. Is it threaded also or just jambed onto the shaft.. Can i jack shaft it off by puting something like a centerpunch inside shaft and screwing a bolt into th shaft aganst the punch and shaft? I think i read somewhere that this method will work. thanks

Old 01-24-2010, 12:21 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

I believe you can use a piece of 3/4" fine thread ready rod to pop your clutch off about a 12" piece should do. But don't qoute me on the size. And a couple of bolts on the end for somthing put a wrench on. Try looking up clutch removal in your search.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:33 AM
Trailblazer

do you mean all thread? I dont know what ready rod is and where do you get it? Do i thread it into clutch shaft and pull on it ? Or thread it into clutch shaft against punch? Thanks

Old 01-24-2010, 08:06 AM
Pro Rider

the clutch is just mounted to the tapered crankshaft. I wove one of my tie down straps through the fins(on the inside ,close to the inside case), tied the strap in a knot ,the put a pry bar through the strap and footpegs . while prying outward ,give the clutch a tap and it should come off. don't pry on the clutch or beat on it too hard or you may damage it.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:08 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Sorry about that, Yes all thread. Tomatoe, tomotoe As long as I know what I'm talking about, I guess I'm not crazy! You would thread it in just as you would with an actual pulling tool. Basically all it is, is a shaft with threads just looks fancy.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Trailblazer

ok i tried to find all thread 3/4 inch with fine thread but couldnt find any. I did find a 3/4 "trailer hitch ball with 2 3/8 " long thread Tried it , but it wasnt long enough. So i found a socket that fit inside with an extension and cranked trailer ball done onto it, and it worked. I Got all clutches of both parts bike and express bike. Now im in the process of removing engine out of parts bike. This engine turns over nicely with no broke parts inside.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:55 PM
Trailblazer

I got the parts bikes (Scrambler 400 2x4 ) moter out this afternoon. 1 On the front botom of the motor is a square box thing that a throtle linkage goes into. Is this the oil injector? Im not sure but the previuose owner had the cover off it, and screws are mising for the cover. The pull rope cover was also off and missing. The electric starter is on motor still but it has high temp red silicon all over it like sombody tried to silicone it in. 2 I have read the starter mounting bolts are under pull rope cover but i dont se them can any one point me in the right direction in seeing them? Although this motor apears to turn over good when i turned clutch by hand , should i go ahead and check insides out and replace parts Now since its out? Im kinda wanting to put the siezed motors starter and pull rope on it and put it in the (express 400 )and try and run it.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:01 PM
Trailblazer

Oh also i dont want to use the oil injection system when i put moter back in The Express . Do i leave the injector in/on motor with cable un hooked ? or can i remove it and get a cover to go where it was?. Id mutch rather mix my gas and know its got oil.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:29 AM
Pro Rider

1 that is the oil injection pump up front.To truly disable the system you need to unhook the cable and unhook and plug the oil lines.This is a tried & true system that when properly adjusted works, period. you may want to take all the plumbing and hardware off your junk motor and put it on there and reuse it, up to you.
2 they probably had starter troubles before and tried waterproofing it ,which explains all the rtv. Now would be a good time to take it apart and give it a good cleaning. there should be 2 10mm. bolts at the bottom left hand corner to get the starter off ,plus the others on the outside. easy job since you have the motor out.
3 With the carburetor off ,you can look at the piston and cylinder wall for scoring,minor scuffing is kinda normal ,what you need to look for is pieces missing off the piston and hot spots on the cylinder walls.
Check the crankshaft for end-play and up & down play. if it has any noticeable play it's time for bearings.
Drain counterbalancer fluid and check for any antifreeze.refill with 10w-30,only holds 4.5 ounces.
when you go to reinstall the motor ,you may want to leave the temp.sensor(at the top of the motor)off until you get the motor in the frame and all bolted down,they are easy to break and are costly. put it on before you put the carb. and exhaust on.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:39 PM
Trailblazer

Where is the counterbalancer and how do i drain it? The only fluids i saw in engine was radiadtor fluid came out of radiatior lines. There was kinda black oily fluid in bottom of the engine where the plastic tank thats atached to left side of frame and to botom left side of motor by the ruber boot..It looked like slimy oil not pure radiator fluid in the ruber boot.

I will check the piston for scoring and check bearings also.

I just need to get the seized motor out of the express now.

Thanks for all the advice and help.Maybe i wont screw it all up and have a good cheap running atv in a couple of months.