Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What tires are OK for the sportsman 500 HO?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:50 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tires are OK for the sportsman 500 HO?

Hi all

Looking to upgrade my stock tires on my 2006 sportsman 500 HO.

I hate to dive into it blind, look for some insight.

Mainly worried about the machine not being stout enough for more aggressive tires and clearance.

I don't want to put something on there that will damage the machine.

Also, please don't slap me in the back of the head, but is there a good mud tire out there that won't totally destroy my yard?

Old 02-22-2010, 08:56 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

It about want you want to do with your ATV. For example Mud lite makes 3 tires, AT. XL and XXL.

AT''s are general trail riding tires and XXL would vibrate you filling out of your teeth if used as a trail tire because the lugs are so big.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Originally Posted by TLC
It about want you want to do with your ATV. For example Mud lite makes 3 tires, AT. XL and XXL.

AT''s are general trail riding tires and XXL would vibrate you filling out of your teeth if used as a trail tire because the lugs are so big.
TLC just said it. If your wanting somthing that is turf friendly and yet decent traction in the mud you need to stick to a less aggressive lug pattern. Example: my popo has XL. mudlites and I chew the **** out of the yard just putting along. Yesterday my brother took his honda out with a brand new set of AT. bear claws and did surprising well in the mud without doing alot of damage to the terrain. Now as far as size goes, an inch plus should prove no challenge to your machine, yet I'd look into a clutch kit if your wanting to go big!. Tire weight can also be a factor in the performance realm. So many choices out there!

Old 02-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its hard to get a descent mud tire that is not going to destroy the ground. the swamo lites dd a good job as well as the xtr's. i would stick to a stock tire size or no more then 1" bigger if you don't to loose any performance w/ the bike. imo

Old 02-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Jethrob, if you go with wider tires you will need to create clearance for the tie rod ends in the front. I ended up having 3/8" longer wheel studs pressed in and put a hardened 3/8x24 nut with a hardened washer between the hub and tire rim. It doesn't rub anymore. I ended up with Mudlite XTRs 26x9-12 and 26x11-12. They've performed flawlessly so far. I've had them in thick mud, thin mud, headlight deep waterholes, rocks, hard pack, every kind of snow, etc. They are an excellent tire. I was able to go up a 30 degree slope with 9" of wet snow in 2wd. Dug right down to hard pack. More difficult to powerslide though.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for the input

I didn't realize even the less aggressive mud tires tear up the yard.

I do a lot of putting around the yard with the kids on the wheeler, and need it to move boats around non-graveled areas of the yard without tearing stuff up.

Third before mudding we ride around on the roads. I often ride 10 miles @ 52 MPH or so to get to some trails so the vibrations would not be cool.

Occasionally when I get the opptunity to hit the trails with the guys is mainly when I'm wanting more aggressive. Got stuck a couple of times this last ride, most of them were fairly ridiculous holes but some of the other wheelers made it.

After some thought and consideration I'm now leaning towards maybe buying some tire chains, and just popping those on for the occasional mudding.

Chains will make a 2wd truck (or car, yes we have done it) flat out eat the mud. Have seen a 2wd caprice fly by stuck 4WDS because of tire chains.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:08 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont do the chains.They are ok for plowing but not riding.Check into Goodyear Rawhides in stock sizes.I been running a set of those and it doesnt tear the yard up too bad ride is decently smooth on gravel roads and does good in mud.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:19 PM
Range Rover

I agree with ftwflh. Don't use the chains. You can tear up a lot of things on your ATV if a cross link on the chains break while spinning in the mud ($$$$). There are a lot of tires that are better than stock for the mud that will run the 10 miles you are talking about with very little vibration, but the thing that is the hard part is your yard. I cant advise you there because my 08 Sportsman 500 HO would tear up the yard when I had the stock tires on it. I like the MAXXIS BIG HORN 2.0 for where I ride. (trails, mud/water) and the yearly trip to WV. (Hatfield-McCoy) about 2 1/2hrs from home.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Even with the 1 wheel drive option on my Sportsman X2 the quad will tear up the lawn at least a little bit even with the stock tires. I don't think you will find a good mud tire that will not damage the lawn at least a bit.