Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Tow behind ATV mower

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 05:45 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeeDawg
Reel mowers would be pretty useless for tall grass or brush. They are only good on smooth lawns that get mowed often.
In that case maybe a Bush Hog.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uncertifiedmechanic
That twin motor model is something!!! I pull 2 of those Swisher 11.5 hp 44" finish cut mowers behind a Cub Cadet rider or my 800 Sportsman Touring

How long have you had it? Any issues yet?

Old 06-04-2014, 08:42 AM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

Originally Posted by DeeDawg
How long have you had it? Any issues yet?
I have 1000 hrs on my Cub Cadet LT1018 with 42" cut, has cut 25 acres of field grass with those 2 Swisher pull behinds in 2 days. Service the mower regularly, new belts, oil, grease etc. The Briggs & Stratton engine is priceless over the Kohler and Kawasaki motors used in today's models. The only repair I've done is replace the valve/exhaust rods, about a 10 minute repair and $20 in parts.

If you're talking about my '09 Sportsman 800 Touring, original owner, runs/rides like a Caddy, regular maintenance, original tires, etc.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a swisher 60" pull behind a really like it. But since my atv is broke down, i used my lawn tractor to pull the swisher at camp last week. Mowing 8' at a time! WOW! And actually nicer pulling with the tractor.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by uncertifiedmechanic
I have 1000 hrs on my Cub Cadet LT1018 with 42" cut, has cut 25 acres of field grass with those 2 Swisher pull behinds in 2 days. Service the mower regularly, new belts, oil, grease etc. The Briggs & Stratton engine is priceless over the Kohler and Kawasaki motors used in today's models. The only repair I've done is replace the valve/exhaust rods, about a 10 minute repair and $20 in parts.
I agree on the Briggs engines.. Last one I had was a Scots with a 17 horse twin..Still running good after 9 years when I gave it to a good friend, bought a Cub Cadet LTX1046 22 hp Kohler twin little over a year ago and this has got to be the hardest starting,loudest engine noise I've ever had. Have about 60 hrs ,so far so good on mowing but have to wear ear muffs to drown out the engine noise and hydrostatic gear whine.. Definitely not like the old Kohlers and Onans of years past. I also Installed a crank shaft in my sons' Kawasaki powered Cub Cadet walk behind mower when he jumped a cub bending the crank. First lawn mower I ever rebuilt. If I need another one before I croak,going back to Briggs powered..

Old 06-08-2014, 10:20 AM
Trailblazer

I have the swisher 60" finish mower with the Briggs motor. Had it for a year now. I use it for my property maintenance company maintaining rural properties. Worked great so far. I use it behind my 6ft John Deere front deck mower to extend my cut.

I wouldn't use one as my primary mower behind a quad. Because its a tow behind it is difficult to get in tight around objects. Its not cheap either, around $2000 here with a set of blades. For that price you can buy a really nice used ride on.

Biggest issue I have with mine is tracking, because its offest and towed it doesn't always follow follow the first mower exactly and will leave and uncut strip when cornering or turning around. Also if I turn to sharp and back up and turn its easy to jack knife. The problem is compounded by the fact that my mower is a rear steer.

Typically at home(3 acres) I use a push mower in the tight areas, then the ride on by itsself around the trees and close to the house and then add the tow behind for the rest(field and road).