Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

97 explorer 500 4wheel drive doesnt work

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 explorer 500 4wheel drive doesnt work

Can't get the front tires to engage, seems to have something to do with the override. As soon as i start it, the yellow light stays on... all the time. the AWD light only comes on while pushing the yellow override button. Occasionally goes into stumble mode, so i shut it down and the next day it will run just fine. I am guessing the green light is nutrual , but it never comes on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks- Brendon

Old 11-01-2012, 12:39 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome! You can disable the reverse override module by pulling the black wire fom the module and you will then have full power in reverse and also awd without having to push the button any more! These modules are bad about going out and limiting even in forward,which could be what's happening. It's located under the front panel.Another major problem is slack in gear shift boxes and switch problems. If you push the shift lever a little more forward usually the awd will engage if the gear position switch is worn or has shift lever wear.Usually they work better in low range as commonly it's not used as much and engages the switch better. The green light is neutral and these older shifters were bad on gear position switches going out or not being pushed by the shift lever showing correct gear position. You can replace the switch #3233371 as it could have the old plastic original internal plunger that has been updated with a better metal one,but if the shift lever has a lot of slack back and forth it may work for awhile and then back to the same problem. This switch alone is $105 and the complete shift box assy with switch is $240 at Cycle Parts Warehouse. I've replaced parts over the years, but a lot of the time it costs more to completely rebuild than to just purchase a new one. Polaris finally got smart on later models when they went to the straight line shift boxes and the gear position switch on the gear case where it should have been in the first place."HOPEFULLY" your problem is just the reverse limiter module,but you can look here also on your model under "gear selector" to see the breakdown on the shift box and switch also,if defeating the limiter doesn't solve the problem. http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp OPT

Old 11-01-2012, 08:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

thank you! ill try this after work... thanks again. I bought it from a friend so he could get his car running. now i stuck with it. had it sold a few times if the 4x4 would have worked

Old 11-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Keep us updated! Your findings can help others! OPT

Old 11-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry it took me so long to get back at it. I unplugged the black wire and yes that took it out of stumble mode. but the yellow light still stays on all the time and the AWD light only come on while holding override button... gear position switch?? I still don't get a neutral light either. thanks

Old 11-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Think you may have two problems OR the gear position switch in the shift box is bad allowing reverse only to be shown which will trigger the limiter. These plunging switches are bad on wearing down,along with being pushed back a little in the shift box. The shift lever isn't able to hit the plunger which wont show the correct gear you're in. If shows in reverse the limiter will kick in! Leave the limiter unplugged if you wish and you won't have to mess with the over ride button,BUT the switch in the gear box probably needs to be replaced. Later models had the switch on the transmissions(where they should have been) You can try to see if you can reposition the switch in the box to see if it will work.They can either just go out or at times be pushed back a little to where they can't make contact with the shift lever.The switch is mounted in a groove in the shift box. May not last if you reposition it,but worth a try.($105 just for the switch!) Look here on your model under "gear selector" and you will see the switch item #15 and how it works in the shift box. Browse OPT

Old 11-05-2012, 07:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

OPT you rock. sounds like I'm in the right direction. may be a few days before i can get back in there. workin on it in my driveway and MT weather is in control. I gonnna try just takin the gear box apart and lubing everything the poor thing has sat too long and everything I touch is dry and crispy. hopefully I'll get lucky. We should call you OPT kanobie lol... thank you I'll let you know

Old 11-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

One other way is that you can "rig" up the the switch is by jumping the gray/white wire(awd wire to the red/white(powers on when key switch is on) wire which should allow full time awd,BUT doesn't help on the dash lights. Just a bypass. OPT

Old 11-07-2012, 07:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

got it pulled apart and replaced the original plastic switch with a metal one. ($105.00) now rev limiter plugged back in. yellow light only comes on in reverse like its supposed too. neutral light must be burnt out. AWD comes on in reverse and low but have to hold shifter forward for it to work in high. huge progress!! thanks so much. montana winter due to hit tonight so i think I'm done for a while. thanks again

Old 11-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Glad you have it working now! Common problem on the old shifters to have a good awd in low,but then you have to push the shifter lever forward a little in high range for the awd to work! Mainly because most people didn't use low enough and it will still engage the switch better. Just wear on the shift box lever is the problem. Low range is best for awd anyway in most cases. OPT