Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Transmission Fluid will not drain from Sportsman 700

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid will not drain from Sportsman 700

I have (2) 2003 Polaris Sportsman 700. When I remove the transmission drain plug from one, the transmission oil drains just fine, and I fill back up per the manual on top side.

When I remove the drain plug from the other Sportsman 700, nothing drains, not even a drop. When I look on the top side into the fill hole, I see fluid in it. I have put 1/2 quart into transmission and still not a drop comes out of the drain plug. I have checked the vent line to make sure its not kinked, and that is ok (when I blow into the vent line, transmission oil will come out of the fill hole only)

Can't figure out why nothing drains from the drain hole? Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions?????

Thanks!

Old 04-09-2014, 05:55 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a blockage at the drain hole. if you have the filler plug out and the drain plug out the vent doesnt come into play. The blockage has to be big if air wont clear it out. I would try a awl or pick of some sort in the drain hole with a clean pan under it and see what comes out. It cant be dry since what you put in the top should of come out the bottom. A clean pan will help you see what comes out and help you ID what part came apart.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:26 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Drail hole maybe plugged with metal filings , or the fluid is so old its more like sludge.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the suggestions so far. The old transmission fluid is still good that is in it (has not turned to a thick sludge). I have taken forced air to drain plug to see if I could "blow out" anything that maybe in the way and the transmission fluid that was in it come out the fill plug. Reversed blowing air into the fill hole to see if I could get any fluid to come out drain plug and nothing. I'm stumped!

Old 04-09-2014, 09:29 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

This 7/16" drain plug is too small in my opinion. Bad about the magnet itself when you pull it out to just be coated with metal shavings that can block the drain hole. If you've forced air through the fill plug area with a shop towel over the hole and tried air through the drain hole and still wont drain,you've got a lot of shavings blocking this lower area. You can always pump the fluid out from the fill plug and try more air,kerosene to try to clean the case up.Found this on a lot of machines that didn't have regular gear case fluid changes also. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 04-09-2014, 09:58 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I bought one of these pumps that work good for a Ski-Doo snowmobile chaincase that had no drain hole and expected me to split the chain case every time to drain it.
My friend uses it on his Honda 500 Foreman because his oil drain plug is screwed up and seized.
For $20 its awesome.