Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2012 850 Touring Throwing code

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 10:09 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 850 Touring Throwing code

Hi,
Not sure how to pull codes on the bike but this week while riding with my wife on trails at about 20 mph, I had to grab the brake hard and chop the throttle as we came upon a hole in the trail that I had not seen. In order to keep from hitting it hard and bouncing my wife in the air I had to make a hard slow down from 20 to zero. When I did this, the bike stuttered like it was in over ride mode and the service engine light came on. It happened a couple of other times in the 100 mile ride we did and each time it occured it was when slowing down and completely off the throttle.
Can this be signs of a TPS out of sync and is there a way to pull the codes without going to the dealer?

Thanx for your help.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:35 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Your owners manual shows you how to read/go through the code sequence. 80% of efi problems are wiring/connector related according to the manuals.Usually on something like this it's the tbap(map) sensor harness or connector. Check the sensor wiring including the tps for any bare or soft feeling wires. If you find suspect wiring then better sensor repair kits are available here.https://otbpowersports.com/products/ Might be best to go through the service manual trouble shooting guides that can help you better on this. Cheap 5 buck manual that you can use over and over for repairs and service and can answer most of your questions.2012 Polaris Sportsman Touring 850 HO Service Manual PDF Download

Old 08-27-2016, 06:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I have a 2011 Manual and it appears that the service engine light needs to stay lit in order for the gauge to store the code. I cannot get the gauge to cycle and show the retrieval section. I do think I have found the issue though. I pulled the cover off the throttle block and found excessive play in the throttle cable linkage. I a adjusted it to spec and will just have to wait until the next time out to see if it has cured the issue. When the engine is rev'd and the throttle chopped the engine drops to idle and has a slight stumble at the bottom before it returns to normal idle. I am thinking the sharp cut in throttle under load almost caused the engine to stall and when that happened the service engine light momentarily flashed and everything returned to normal as I came to a 1 to 2 mile per hour speed and then stopped. As soon as I released the brake and pushed the throttle everything seemed fine. The service engine light only flashed a couple of times in the 100 mile ride and the engine never showed any signs of running rough, hard starting etc. I am familiar with the open/close switch system that Polaris uses on their sleds and this is similar so hopefully tightening the loose speedo cable fixes it.

I'll report back in a week or two if I get a chance to ride it.

Thank you OPT for your input. Greatly appreciated and from what I can tell by my visits to this site, you are usually spot on.