Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris 500 primary clutch cracked

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 04:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 500 primary clutch cracked

I have a 98 Polaris 500 and my clutch was getting pretty worn out so when I bought a new belt, i figured I would put the original clutch my dad had in his shop on it, since the buttons? and everything seemed much better than mine. I took it up to my local dealer to get them to remove the spider nut off of my old clutch (I removed it using grease and a 3/4 bolt with ease) and install it on the other clutch. When I got home and went to install the clutch I noticed a small hairline crack in the clutch they had installed the nut on. I am almost certain that crack was not there.

Well like a fool I installed the clutch anyways thinking to myself well certainly he wouldn't let me install something that would cause some huge issue or explode. I took it down the road and within 1 mile the clutch completely split.

I got home and installed my old belt just to see how messed up things were and she wouldn't move in forward or reverse, yet was not catching on the crack. My lady who was with me when I took it up there originally said I need to see if they will take care of it. I feel as if its going to be a he say she say situation. Not sure if this is the correct term but did the ebs bearing go out as well and that's why its not moving?

I do all of my work myself, this is the first time I've ever used my local dealer. I'm located in milledgeville ga

Old 01-31-2018, 05:01 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

If the sheath is cracked,one way bearing frozen or damaged, doesn't matter whether it happened because of what the dealer did or not as it's more than likely like you said: He said,you said,they said,etc type of deal. No winners in this one. You can get a used clutch on ebay,spend time transferring parts over hoping it'll work right,OR just get a new aftermarket drive clutch for way less than half of an oem clutch that's ready to bolt on.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Primary-Dri...1Xm1ed&vxp=mtr

Attached Thumbnails Polaris 500 primary clutch cracked-s-l1600.jpg  
Old 01-31-2018, 10:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i just took the 6 bolts out to remove the spring and due a further inspection and the spider nut was free. I spun it off with my fingers. Would that explain the clutch not grabbing? Would that explain why everything happened the way it did?

Im not your typical user on here...I dont have money to just buy another clutch...hence the reason ive never fooled with a dealership. i just wanted an honest opinion.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Honest opinon if the clutch sheath is cracked it needs to be replaced... Whether you buy a new clutch or used clutch for parts. The one bearing may be able to be saved,but I'd check the fiber washer behind it along with the brass washer in front under the "cup" Replace these two if worn. The one way as it's called should turn clock wise and lock if you try to turn it counter clock wise. If the dealer is able to work with you that would be good,but again that depends on the dealer even if you told him the spider was loose.https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/po...4950135013c004

Attached Thumbnails Polaris 500 primary clutch cracked-056fd32ac20fb200fe54fee17f7f189fb89d36d5.png