Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2005 Sportsman 800 efi does with throttle

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 05:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Sportsman 800 efi does with throttle

05 sportsman 800. Inherited this thing after it sat for a couple years. It just shut off in the middle of a ride with the previous owner and he just parked it. I changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors, and purged all gas from tank and lines. Fuel has good pressure (38psi). Looked like a rodent chewed on stator wires and it shorted to CPS wires,so I changed both of those. Swapped rectifier. Has new T-BAP sensor and harness (checked it's wirinig - they're good). TPS voltage and resistance was exactly as the manual stated it should be (checked at harness and ECU). New spark plugs, new gas, added sea foam to tank.
PROBLEM: shuts off with just a slight touch of the throttle! It will idle fine! I'm exhausted. Can anyone provide feedback?

Old 11-04-2018, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

Any check engine light and/or codes? Could help to track it down.

Did you do an OEM pump, or an aftermarket?

Old 11-05-2018, 05:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by 94harley
Any check engine light and/or codes? Could help to track it down.

Did you do an OEM pump, or an aftermarket?
There are no codes and the fuel pump is oem.
Codes 41 & 45 were showing but have since been corrected with T-BAP harness and TPS voltage adjustment.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Advise? Need assistance....

Originally Posted by jcadmf
05 sportsman 800. Inherited this thing after it sat for a couple years. It just shut off in the middle of a ride with the previous owner and he just parked it. I changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors, and purged all gas from tank and lines. Fuel has good pressure (38psi). Looked like a rodent chewed on stator wires and it shorted to cps wires,so i changed both of those. Swapped rectifier. Has new t-bap sensor and harness (checked it's wirinig - they're good). Tps voltage and resistance was exactly as the manual stated it should be (checked at harness and ecu). New spark plugs, new gas, added sea foam to tank.
Problem: Shuts off with just a slight touch of the throttle! It will idle fine! I'm exhausted. Can anyone provide feedback?
any check engine light and/or codes? Could help to track it down.

Did you do an oem pump, or an aftermarket?
Originally Posted by jcadmf
there are no codes and the fuel pump is oem.
Codes 41 & 45 were showing but have since been corrected with t-bap harness and tps voltage adjustment.
quo

Old 11-07-2018, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

I ran into a very odd situation a long time ago, only once though. The tps test, voltage and resistance were fine. Problem is, that's only two wires of the three on the tps. I found that the, what I call, signal wire, had a failure. What I believe is if that wire has a failure, it would cause problems, but not an engine code. The computer saw voltage, and resistance, but didnt understand the throttle plate was opening because the signal wire had issues. Memory is fuzzy but the way I remember reading the wiring diagram, it wasn't easy to test other than swapping with a known good one. I'll look tomorrow, I know I have throttle body laying around, maybe I could send it you for testing, and at least try to eliminate that part. Up to you.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider

I forgot to ask this, but the TPS voltage tests need a special adapter, and 9v battery to test them. Do you have the adapter? If not, what procedure did you use?

I remembered this morning that the component I checked that had the bad "Signal" wire was a crank sensor, not the TPS. Sorry. Its built different than a TPS, so this is probably irrelevant.
I ran into a very odd situation a long time ago, only once though. The tps test, voltage and resistance were fine. Problem is, that's only two wires of the three on the tps. I found that the, what I call, signal wire, had a failure. What I believe is if that wire has a failure, it would cause problems, but not an engine code. The computer saw voltage, and resistance, but didnt understand the throttle plate was opening because the signal wire had issues. Memory is fuzzy but the way I remember reading the wiring diagram, it wasn't easy to test other than swapping with a known good one. I'll look tomorrow, I know I have throttle body laying around, maybe I could send it you for testing, and at least try to eliminate that part. Up to you.

Last edited by 94harley; 11-08-2018 at 10:12 AM. Reason: added
Old 11-09-2018, 06:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Jcadmf
quo
I forgot to ask this, but the TPS voltage tests need a special adapter, and 9v battery to test them. Do you have the adapter? If not, what procedure did you use?

I remembered this morning that the component I checked that had the bad "Signal" wire was a crank sensor, not the TPS. Sorry. Its built different than a TPS, so this is probably irrelevant.
Well, CPS is new, so that's not it. However, I didn't use the TPS test adapter. I simply left the wiring installed, placed some very small paper clip in the back of the harness, and used a multimeter with alligator clips. I was informed that this was an accurate way to test since the sensor was getting it's true voltage. However, please correct me if I am wrong.
Odd question, if the camshaft exhaust love was worn down, it would still run....correct? It was just sound terrible? Haven't took off valve cover, just curious because I've heard that's a common issue with sportsmans.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Jcadmf
Well, CPS is new, so that's not it. However, I didn't use the TPS test adapter. I simply left the wiring installed, placed some very small paper clip in the back of the harness, and used a multimeter with alligator clips. I was informed that this was an accurate way to test since the sensor was getting it's true voltage. However, please correct me if I am wrong.
Odd question, if the camshaft exhaust love was worn down, it would still run....correct? It was just sound terrible? Haven't took off valve cover, just curious because I've heard that's a common issue with sportsmans.
I've never tested one without using the adapter so I dont know if its accurate or not. Intriguing though.

If a cam lobe is worn on a motor it will run and yes the sportsman's were very prone to it, but that was the 500 motors, not the twin 6,7,and 800's. I've personally only seen 1 cam failure on a twin since they came out.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've never tested one without using the adapter so I dont know if its accurate or not. Intriguing though.

If a cam lobe is worn on a motor it will run and yes the sportsman's were very prone to it, but that was the 500 motors, not the twin 6,7,and 800's. I've personally only seen 1 cam failure on a twin since they came out.
Yeah, I hate to buy the adapter and it do the same thing. Might have to...