Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Will someone please look at this starter brushing???

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2001, 12:20 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My starter on my 2000 SP500 quit working the other day. All I get is the click, click from the solenoid. Took my starter out and apart. Nearest Polaris dealers are several miles away, so before I make the trip for a new brush assembly, can someone who has replaced these things please look at mine and see if this is what worn brushes resemble?

Starter brush assembly picture 1

Starter brush assembly picture 2

I noticed one of the brushes is about 5/8" in length, the other much shorter.

Would this explain my no start situation? Do you think a new assembly will correct the problem? Do most Polaris dealers stock this part without me replacing the entire starter assembly?

As always, thanks in advance! And pray for our great nation!

Old 09-12-2001, 05:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

From the looks of the first picture the top brush is stuck it should be extended like the other brush. The springs should push brushes against the armuture. Kinda hard to diagnose from the picture. Also selonoid could be bad.

Old 09-12-2001, 07:22 AM
Pro Rider

MIne is doing the same thing. It just clicks. I replaced my solenoid 2 years ago(because it broke in half)with one that fits a ford truck. Polaris wanted $35 for a little plastic replacement, so I opted for a $10 metal one that is twice as big. It worked great until a month ago or so. Now mine is doing exactly what you say yours is doing. The problem is most likely the brushes.

I would replace the assembly, besides you can't just get brushes. I know our little dealership keeps the assembly in stock($40). I would think yours would too.

Old 09-12-2001, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

The brushes look good, except one looks stuck like sixty9cobra said. The armature is probably good. If it was bad, then it would be groved and your brushes would be worn out more. I would clean it up real good and put the starter together. Then hook it straight up to the battery (using jumper cables, etc...) to test it before putting it back on the bike.

Dealers should have it in stock because the brush assembly, as well as many other polaris atv parts, are farily universal between all the models. You could also buy aftermarket brushes for about $10 and solder them in yourself. I've done it both ways several times.

Old 09-14-2001, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, the brush is stuck. While it is apart, I would check out getting another brush assembly, or replacing the brushes. If Polaris doesn't carry just the brushes, try anyone that re-builds electric motors. The brushes must slide freely or eventually won't make the connection.
While you are at it, shine up the armature with fine emery cloth. Don't file off any more than you have to to just get it clean & shiny. Blow any grit out with compressed air.
Good luck.

Old 09-14-2001, 06:45 PM
Range Rover

Mine is doing the EXACT same thing (2000 sportsman 500). I eliminated the battery and solenoid (with help from a board member) but did not take it off and look at the brushes. I figured it was bad and needed to be replaced, under warranty. However, I was told today warranty probably would not cover it, so i need to try and fix it.

I looked at the pictures posted but did not know what I was looking at. How can you look at those pictures and tell the armature is ok and the brushes are stuck???? What are you looking at in the picture? Also, is the starter removal easy or do i need to take the whole PVT cover off or can you just reach up in there and unbolt it?

thank you.

Old 09-15-2001, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

You can tell one of the brushes is stuck fairly simply. They are spring-loaded so should both spring out of the little holder things towards the center of the bracket, where the armature would be. Notice how one of the brushes is sticking way past the holder, while the other is barely past. This means it either is stuck, and isn't contacting the armature properly, or else it is worn down to the point, the brush is too short to reach the armature to contact it fully. USUALLY both brushes wear fairly evenly, so I assume the one is stuck, not worn out.

To look at the brushes, take the end cap off of the starter motor. It is a good idea to mark their location in relation to the body, as sometimes they don't fit right if put together wrong (usually a half-turn off with one end). On one end of the motor housing, you will see the brush assembly. The brushes are what carry the electrical current from the outside (wires) to the motor windings. The brushes will come into contact with the armature, which is a drum-shaped contact area at the end of the windings. These contacts continually move the magnetic field of the windings, making them want to turn in a certain direction within the magnets of the motor housing. It is the magnetic fields attracting & repelling each other that gives the motor it's power. If the brush sticks power is lost, and the starter won't turn the engine over. USUALLY (but not always) if the brushes are going bad or sticking, you will notice that the starter seems to turn the motor over sluggishly, and soon after that, won't turn it at all.

Old 09-16-2001, 04:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes you have problem with the brush assy. Both brushes must contact the armature. We work on polaris four wheelers eveyday and this one very common
problem with polaris bikes. Yes brush kits are avaiable I have about 6 sets on the shelf at all times. They run around $40.00 and you should have no problem getting them from any dealer. If you have trouble and can't get your hands on any let me know and I will mail you a set. Sledman@ainop.com