Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Everyone happy with their Sportsman 700?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2001, 01:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ooops

Sorry vegasdude, I had typos in my last post.

Old 12-15-2001, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

Vegasdude~

(knock on wood)I haven't seen a Yamaha break down yet, but my brother in laws polaris's........I'm sure it's just continual bad luck. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Actually, while he has had problems with 2 of his polaris's, I don't believe he's had any problems with his SP700. I've rode his SP700, and he's rode my Grizz they are two different machines in my opinion. The SP700, IMHO, is a more heavy duty, utility oriented (which is the market that these 4X4 quads are in)quad, with tons of power, and the Grizz is more sporty, snappier (I know, I've rode them both & we've raced) better in technical situations, with tons of power, but not as heavy duty. I like the 660 better, and he choose the SP700, what matters is that you actually buy the quad to fit your riding habits.

Farmer123~

You know I've only had 2 occasions where I even needed the diff lock. Once it got me out of a scrape I sholdn't have been in, and the other time, it didn't matter because my reverse limiter shot me down. It is nice to know you have it, if you need it, but as little as I've used it I haven't been hindered by the 22MPH diff lock limiter. Fortunately, there is a mod to get around it as well as the the reverse limiter. This weekend or next weekend my reverse limiter will have a bypass switch, and on another weekend, the diff lock limiter will get it's bypass switch. So, while I think I know why Yamaha placed these retarded limiters on their 660, it can easily be foiled. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Happy Holidays Everybody!

SilverBear

Old 12-15-2001, 04:05 PM
Range Rover

Mr. & Mrs. Silverbear.........good afternoon, actually I have owned 3 yamaha's and currently own a banshee and a 700. The yamaha's are great machines. My Polaris's have been good too. It's nice to hear from people that like to have FUN!! So feel free to join in with the bashing of "hatinmy650" he provides alot of areas in which to explore..........to bad his quad could't do that...........haha......... and your right again the griz is a different machine. I do alot of mountain trails that are rough and carry alot of equipment and I like the way the 700 sits. I did not buy it for a "Sports Quad" I bought it for utility and comfort. I have the banshee to kick around on when I want to ride crazy.............but dont tell my Mom.............I like the looks of the griz and am considering buying my son one........course I would ride it too........haha....oopssss...my mom does not know about my kid.........so please keep it quiet..........well time to go buy some stuff for my truck............later...........

Old 12-15-2001, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

Mr Silverbear. I agree that the rev limiters are something to be by-passed. It is not a brand bashing thing, as I know of plenty of Polaris machines that have the reverse over-ride button by-passed. I think the reason they have the limiter is so that if you DO by-pass it, and hurt yourself somehow, Yamaha is in the clear, because YOU caused the accident by messing with their configuration.
Sad, when they have to put features on a quad that 90% of the people don't like, just to appease the lawyers. That is more why it grinds in my craw than the actual number of times it will cause you to get stuck. I guess if we don't have the government and lawyers to protect us from our own stupidity, we would all die young.
A friend of mine collects what he calls DUH-isms. You know, when on the hair dryer it says not to use while in the shower DUH!!. Get it?
So far my favorite DUH-ism came off a chain saw safety manual. As best I remember, it said (I am serious here) 'Do not attempt to stop rotating chain with hands, feet, arms, legs, or genitals.' (Like that is a big problem somewhere???? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] )

I don't have a problem with whatever you drive. I picked Polaris as much for the way the dealer treats me than any measure of brand loyalty. About the only REAL dealer locally, that TRULY goes out of their way to keep customers happy, is the Polaris dealer, so that is what I drive most of the time. I also have a Honda, a good reliable machine, but the only good dealer around here retired, and the others kind of suck. Rumors of a new one abound, and I hope it pans out. I don't like having to drive 3 or 4 hours just to get service done.

Old 12-16-2001, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

Vegasdude~

Good evening. The Grizz was my first Yamaha, and so far I've been pretty pleased with the performance & handling. If you get your son the 660, first I know he'll love it, but second make sure he can handle it. The biggest problem I've heard with the 660's & 700's is the power surprises people and they get into accidents. Actually, almost happened to me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] The big bores do demand respect...and I'll not mention a word of this to your mom [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Farmer123~

I didn't take the rev limiter issue as brand bashing. Like I said before, I understand why they do it, and that reason is exactly what you listed. I, too, dislike being "protected" from myself, and can honestly say the mud hole I was in, I could have got out (without the winch) had the reverse limiter not been there. Oh well, something else us riders have to "mod" to make our machines do what they were intended for.

As for buying a quad due to dealer reasons, AMEN! My local Yamaha dealer has been a severe pain in my ****. After dealing with an Arctic Cat dealership, I guess I was expecting too much. The only thing I've found wrong with my grizz was the front left axle slides out about an inch if you pull on it, while the other three don't. Not a big deal, all quads, especially first year models, have some sort of glitch that the factory didn't catch. Any person capable of a coherent thought process can look at that and say, "Duh, something's wrong, and it certainly shouldn't have come from the factory like that...or the other three would be doing the same thing". Well, it was that simple for me, but my dealer initially told me that it's not a problem unless it "falls out while I'm riding". To make a long story short, I went to war, and Friday, finally, was informed that yes, indeed, the parts are on order and will be fixed, but it's an "isolated" case. After paying over $7,000.00 cash for that machine, I kinda thought my dealer should have been a little more supportive. Alas, it's old news, and I am looking for a new Yamaha dealer to do business with and service my machine. So I am in total agreement with you, a good dealer can, and will, make all the difference in the world.

Happy Holidays,

SilverBear

Old 12-16-2001, 06:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

i'm waiting for the $69 winch program offer and i'll have a 700SP parked in my garage!

MT

P.S. i have no problems to date with my polaris quads.

Old 12-16-2001, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider

I thought Polaris was offering the $69 winch deal. Thats what there site says.

Old 12-16-2001, 10:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

i read that.

then called my dealer and she said it's not offered on the 700 models!

i can't find anyway to disprove her.

MT

Old 12-16-2001, 04:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Guys,
First of all,I don't own a Polaris but have friends and relatives who do.I alway's read the Polaris forums for info to help my pals,not all of them have pc's,I also would post any info if it pertained to this brand (if it was helpful).I see some of you talking about bypassing rev limiters,my new Vinson has one that only work's in reverse gear,I would like to bypass it because I could see it causing problems if you were stuck.
My wife's Prairie has a switch you push if you need to disable the limiter momentarily,mine has no such switch.I would imagine all brands are similar on this feature,could anybody give me some help with this,I would be grateful!Sorry about getting of the original topic.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-16-2001, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

Coconut~

I'm sure there is a way to bypass that, although I don't know anything about the new Vinson. I would try posting that question on the atv mod forum, and Suzuki's forum. I found out how to bypass my reverse limiter in the Yammy forum.

Good luck, and I agree...get that thing bypassed! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

SilverBear

Quick Reply: Everyone happy with their Sportsman 700?